Discuss Dilemma for new bathroom extractor ? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

tonyb61

My son is moving his bathroom upstairs in a victorian 2 up 2 down. It's going to be in the little upstairs back bedroom on the small wing at the back which is much lower roof height than the main part of the house, and the ceiling is attached straight on to the roof rafters so difficult to work in that area, no loft space at all.

The room has a boiler, connected by switched FCU to the upstairs ring, a couple of sockets on the upstairs ring, and a light wired to the downstairs light circuit.

I assume in the past the feed came up from downstairs as connecting to the upstairs lighting feed was very difficult as the roof is much lower than the main part of the house, and the kitchen below was easier.

We will remove the sockets which is straightforward, but we wanted to fit an extractor. The dilemma is I think it's odd connecting to the room lighting circuit as this is connected to the downstairs light circuit, and getting to the wiring in the space between ceiling and roof tiles, with roof rafters blocking access is almost impossible without removing the ceiling.
I would prefer to connect to the upstairs ring via a fcu as at least this is on an upstairs circuit, and the wiring is accessible. I know this idea seems to cause lots of arguments in other posts but as there is not an upstairs light feed in the room I think it makes more sense.

Any other suggestions or comments ?

is almost impossible to advise anything without being there and having a look.
I suggest to get a local electrician to do it properly, he will know what to do with the cables...

Nothing wrong with an upstairs light on the 'downstairs' lighting circuit. Just label up the board properly or stick a circuit schedule adjacent.

BTW, is this circuit protected by a 30mA RCD?

No, it's a old wylex with rewireable fuse cartridges. There is a rcd/mcb device on the feed to the electric shower in the old bathroom which is being taken out. He does plan to have the board updated at some point when some other work is done and finances permit.

No, it's a old wylex with rewireable fuse cartridges. There is a rcd/mcb device on the feed to the electric shower in the old bathroom which is being taken out. He does plan to have the board updated at some point when some other work is done and finances permit.

He needs to prioritise getting the electrics sorted before the room is in use as a bathroom. All circuits in the bathroom need RCD protection, including the boiler and the lighting circuit.

Is he intending to get building control involved, seeing as the electrics and the drainage are being altered?

I hope I'm wrong but I have a feeling the OP won't be back now he knows that the board needs updating before any wiring is done to the bathroom. (ok there are other alternatives but at the end of the day the wiring needs a RCD)

it's DIY. just run the fan from the shower. :stupid:

Aren't all sockets, lights and fans blue tooth powered.... so no cables needed.... therefore no RCD.... :)

I had to look that up on my phone as the works comp has blocked Youtube. I love Monty Python... as you probably tell by my signature.

I love that film.

Vewy well, I shall... Welease... Woger!

According to his profile, he was on the forum 7 hours ago - so he would have seen up to post #5 - which is probably what scared him off!

Reply to Dilemma for new bathroom extractor ? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net