Discuss DIY. Can anyone help me understand why this complex arrangements of wires are connected this way from these two seperate meters in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Is this dangerous ? Thank you for any advice given

02C5387B-AF2F-4CD4-B96D-208DF338FA56.jpeg BE9444EF-BBB6-4A4A-B74D-9217A88553D4.jpeg D1A9A56C-2598-416B-81F8-16EE4EECBE7F.jpeg 93ECBDA3-A5E5-45E8-8091-6FA08F8C42F9.jpeg 2D5967E7-91E6-4321-BCCA-6BD69546AA3C.jpeg B18A80BC-4276-4F0E-A30D-816B2386362A.jpeg

The exposed connections outside of the DB are potentially dangerous, the cover off the DB is dangerous, the means of earthing is not apparent but it may be what is known as a TT system. There seems to be two separate supplies, is this two properties/flats with a common intake in a basement or something? There appears to be RCD protection. It looks a mess, an Electrical Installation Condition Report would seem a very good idea.

definitely dangerous. i'd get an electrician in urgently. can't see any sign of an earth connection for starters.

Thank You so much for your insights. Yes, there are two separate supplies Innthis mains box but one is supposed to be vacated. One is for the home it sits in, the other for the Farm on which this cottage sits supposedly...but the newer meter on the left never shows any change at all.

As mentioned so far its a real mess, to determine whether or not its dangerous requires an inspection. From the pictures it looks to be "potentially" dangerous. But please take the advise offered and get a qualified electrician in to inspect it properly.

Better to be safe than sorry!

Think you know the answer OP. Do you have two supplies there?
I have no idea of the answer which is why l asked Sir. There are two supplies, one for the cottage where the Mains Box sits, the other for the Farm on which the cottage sits, but the Electricity Supplier told me one supply had been vacated, the account cancelled, and that meter on the left never registers any usage, despite the fact the Farm does use electricity daily nonetheless. Until some replies here, I simply had no clue if this set up is dangerous or legal even. Thanks so much for taking a look.

Hi - as per many others, I too think it’s a dangerous mess. If the bus bar cover falls off (the one that kindly reminds “switch off before removing”) it’s very very dangerous for you. I note an earth wire floating too, and this may've moved the danger further out into the installation.
3DA3CB04-3CB1-45A9-B3B8-CFDF21457D0E.jpeg

Hi - as per many others, I too think it’s a dangerous mess. If the bus bar cover falls off (the one that kindly reminds “switch off before removing”) it’s very very dangerous for you. I note an earth wire floating too, and this may've moved the danger further out into the installation.
View attachment 53343
Thanks so much for your expertise and opinion

I cant believe anyone would say it just needs a bit of a tidy up!!

It is extremely dangerous. You should not go anywhere near it and you should get an electrician in immediately. It's as simple as that. @Manus Blessing

I suppose the other question to ask is are you acting on behalf of the farm,or cottage,and are the two still associated?
Just in case you have get a VO,to invoice your customer ?

Several C2 potentially dangerous problems there.

Also a couple of C1's danger present such as the disconnected earth conductor, DB lid missing etc.

I would urge you to get a periodic inspection done ASAP and go from there.

Reply to DIY. Can anyone help me understand why this complex arrangements of wires are connected this way from these two seperate meters in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net