Discuss domestic bathroom lighting in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

G

gordons

I recently fitted a new (fixed) ceiling light fitting in my bathroom. I live in an old property with very high ceilings.

Because the fitting did not have an IPX4 (or better) I checked with the IEE 17th edition before fitting and believe that I have complied with the regulations, however I have now been informed by a friend that it does not

Horizontally the light fitting is within 60cm of the edge of the bath however vertically it is more than 2.25m above the bottom of the bath, the actual height from the bottom of the bath to the lowest part of the fitting is 2.60m

My interpretation of the regulations is that because of the height my fitting does not need to be IPX4 or better however I am concerned that I may not have interpreted the regulations correctly

Can anyone please advise me

Thanks in anticipation

If its above 2.25mm then its outside the zone so there is no problem , however lighting within the bathroom should be protected by an RCD , also any minor works is notifiable under Part P image for these zones is on page 72 of the on site guide figure 8.3 thats if you can get your hands on a copy , there are some images on the net but these include zone 3 which was omitted when the 17th edition came in

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to domestic bathroom lighting in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

hello all, pardon my ignorance in not employing an electrician, however, im a diy'er whos changing the light switches in my house and came across...
Replies
Views
Hi I have bought a new bathroom fan to replace a faulty one. I don't have much cable available (emerging from wall) and it won't stretch to the...
Replies
Views
Hi, I live in a property built in 1911. It has had asbestos artex applied to every ceiling in the house. I am currently creating a new...
Replies
Views
My EICR test guy says I need to change my bathroom ceiling light to an IP65 rated. Research says I need an IP44. The lamp is about 2.45m above the...
Replies
Views
Hi, Currently just have one light in the bathroom ceiling, a shallow dome with 13W mini fluorescent bulb. The room is 3.65m x2.30m. The ceiling...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock