Discuss Elecsa help in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

samthespark123

Hi guys,

I'm looking to join elecsa but am not to sure when it comes to the two jobs that get assessed. I think that you have to show 1 minor job and one major job, when it cones to these jobs do you have to inform the council about the work you're carrying out? And if so do they give u some writtern conformation of their approval and how much does it cost to inform them???

Cheers

Hi guys,

I'm looking to join elecsa but am not to sure when it comes to the two jobs that get assessed. I think that you have to show 1 minor job and one major job, when it cones to these jobs do you have to inform the council about the work you're carrying out? And if so do they give u some writtern conformation of their approval and how much does it cost to inform them???

Cheers

Correct 2 jobs one notifiable 1 not. Legally yes you notify building control prices vary but around £150. So why not complete your notifiable job a few days before assessment so in the unlikley event that you fail you would still have 30 days from completion to notify building control;)

Good luck

Chris

if you have already applied to join elecsa, ring them up to ask if the job or jobs are o.k. i was told by my assessor that the one consumer unit change was fine, and it was. i've got my first yearly assessment this thursday and not worried at all as the team at elecsa are nice approachable and knowledgeable people always happy to help on the phone if you need them, if your concerned about the jobs required, ask to speak to a technical advisor at elecsa as these are the guys that come to assess you so what they say goes.
as for informing the council, if you can get any sense out of the person at the council on the phone (highly unlikely!) explain it is for your assessment and there will be a qualified assessor checking your work, i have heard that most councils will be happy for this to happen as the work is being assessed.
personally i couldn't get anything other than "that job must be registered" out of my council so i gave up and did the job for my assessment and registered it a couple of days after being assessed. Nobody asked if LABC had been informed.
good luck,

Yep. Had same experience.
Eventualy spoke to someone who knew what I was talking about.
I've had to stump up the £140 for the notification, but they are happy that once it's been inspected for assesment it won't need any further inspection to prove compliance with the regs.

I spoke to Elecsa this morning as am changing board for assessment and asked about LABC notification and was told it was not required. You can notify it as your first job once you pass I was told. HTH Cheers

Am wanting to go to elecsa myself, have got a job coming up that i would like to use as my assesment-partial rewire, how long before you apply to join do you get assesed?

It was about 4 weeks for me. And they were happy for me to do a CU change on my own house as the assessment. They weren’t bothered about LABC notification so long as it was done, at some point. I found the assessor very helpful and obviously wanted me to pass rather than wanted to trip me up on some minor detail, but did ask me quite a lot a questions and suggested at the end what I should brush up on for the next assessment. All in all, he made a potentially stressful experience as painless as possible, but still got the job done and I felt I had still been properly assessed. Can't ask for more than that.

i under took my assesment with elecsa today and had to wait 4 weeks since payment, i agree with gerry24 they asses you without trying to trip you up or try and find any mistakes to make you fail.

Ive been with them 2 years they are very pleasant guys and as has been mentioned they are not trying to trip you up they are there to help you ,just make sure you have all your books insurance calibration ,etc youll be fine ,and make him a coffee when he gets there , on and mt first assesment was 2 weeks from payment

Hi guys,

Cheers

I had my first assesment today. Elecsa ask you to provide a minimum of one job, preferably two. I provided a full re-wire for assesment but i did not notify building control as I had banked on passing the assesment and then notififying through Elecsa. The guy who came to see me today was very helpful and didn`t seem to be looking for problems, only seemed to want to be helpful and provide answers to anything that I was unsure about.

All went well and I passed without any problems. I wasn`t asked anything about if I had notified the work and from what I have read from other threads this seems to be a common theme.

After being in the NIC for seven years I can only sing the praises of Elecsa (up to now!)

Reply to Elecsa help in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net