Discuss Electrical Power Socket & Dimmer Light Switch Replacement from Plastered Walls in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

luca10

-
DIY
Reaction score
i wiped my electrical socket with a damp sponge at some point of which a bit of water may have got into the socket. There appears to be a bit of a brown burn mark in the socket per the attachment where I could smell burnt plastic after using my kettle from this socket. I stopped using the electrical socket upon discovering this for safety reasons even though the electrical supply still works from this socket.

I wish to replace the damaged electrical socket for safety reasons with a new socket. As my home was built in 1979 in london UK & I have solid concrete walls of which i think have been plastered over in order to paint etc prior to purchasing my home by the previous owner. I am worried if I get an electrician in to remove the socket chunks of plaster will come off the wall which then require renovation. Someone told me if switches & sockets have been plastered in then this can happen & an electrician has to cut around the switches & sockets.

I also wish to replace the dimmer plastic light switch which has started to crack a little over time with a new brushed stainless one. See the attached pics. Would chunks of plaster also come off the wall in replacing this dimmer switch too.

Let me know. thanks

Attachments

• IMG_2793.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_2794.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_2851.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_2854.jpg
    195.2 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_2848.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_2847.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_2850.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 8
should not be a problem, looking at those pics. a little paint might come off but that's all. the only thing that might be a concern is that the wiring for the lights might not be suitable for metal faceplates. an electrician will be able to tell you this within 5 minutes of arriving.

I agree with Tel. It's only emulsion that's on the sockets and switches so it shouldn't be a problem. What is the condition of the plug that went into the burnt socket. You might want to get your electrician to look at that as well.

and just remember. damp cloth is for wiping your willie, not sockets.

when you say the wiring for the lights might not be suitable for metal faceplates. Are you saying that with old homes like mine built in 1979 the wiring behind my switches may not support a brushed stainless steel light switch? If thats the case I will have to use plastic switches correct? I guess when you say an electrician will be able to tell you this within 5 minutes of arriving - do you mean when he removes the switch off the wall only then will he know what type of wiring I have behind the switch?

I know my electrical meter/fuse board is not 17th edition if this helps. Thanks very much for all your advice.

Older wiring (e.g. 1960's) often does not have an earth in the lighting circuit(s), and metal face plates need to be earthed. I'd be very surprised to find a 1979 house with no earth in the lighting circuit(s).

that's what i meant. possibility of no earthon lighting circuits, but as he said ^^^^ 1979 build should be OK.

just noticed the socket is cracked too.
not being funny, but why replace it with a stainless one. are other switches in the house stainless? might just be me, but I like them to match in a property.just looks weird otherwise.
mebbe its just my OCD...

Do you mean the electrical socket or dimmer switch is cracked?

Should I decide not to do any electrical work at my property, if I don’t use the electrical socket anymore (the one with the burnt mark) there is no safety issue with respect to any of the current electrical wiring, circuits & fuse board within the rest of my flat correct?

Best to check & seek advice from qualified & very helpful electricians like yourself which I hope you guys are qualified electricians right? thanks

With respect to your burnt socket, I would still get someone to have a look at it and the plug that was in it, the favourite culprit is a bad connection, if it's in the back of the socket it could cause a problem. An experienced electrician would sort it out in minutes.

the burnt socket was connected to a double adaptor. I think the double adaptor was old & not like the new ones you see sold now days I noticed. Have thrown out that double adaptor. No electrical appliance of mine was connected directly to the burnt socket. I believe the slight burning was due to that double adaptor & the combination of me wiping the socket with a damp cloth.

With respect to your burnt socket, I would still get someone to have a look at it and the plug that was in it, the favourite culprit is a bad connection, if it's in the back of the socket it could cause a problem. An experienced electrician would sort it out in minutes.

those socket splitters are the spawn of the devil. always cause these sort of problems. binning it was correct thing to do.

Reply to Electrical Power Socket & Dimmer Light Switch Replacement from Plastered Walls in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net