Discuss Energy Efficent Lighting in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Part L1, Dwellings:
Internal lighting
Section 1.54 of the Approved Document to L1 requires that reasonable provision be made for the installation of energy efficient lighting, preferably in those areas where the lighting is expected to have most use. To achieve this, there are two recommendations.

1. At least 25% of the installed light fixtures should use a light bulb which has a luminous efficacy greater than 40 lumens per circuit-watt.
2. These light fixtures should also have a lamp holder which prohibits the use of light bulbs which are less efficient.

I am doing a full rewire of a domestic house and cannot find any decent light fittings that fall into this category, only a basic pendant set which requires 40mm lamp shades which the customer thinks look ugly, none to her taste etc.

How do you guys go about this dilema.

Spikenaylor

You are now well out of date the recommendation now is from the domestic building services compliance guide 2010, you no longer need specific fittings, but must have 75% >45lm/W.
Makes things much easier.
existing lighting.jpg

From the building regs on the planning portal

Building Regulations

If you are carrying out electrical work and fixing lighting to the outside of
your house in England and Wales, you will have to follow new building
regulations rules.

You should either use an installer who is registered with the competent
person scheme or make an application to your local authority's building control
department or approved inspectors.

It is now a general aim to make our buildings as energy efficient as
possible. You are required to install efficient electric lighting to your house
in specific circumstances including:
  • When your dwelling has been extended
  • When your existing lighting system is being replaced as part of re-wiring
    works.
An example of efficient lighting is where reasonable provision should be made
to enable effective control and/or use of efficient lamps such that:
  • Either, lamp capacity does not exceed 150 Watts per light fitting and the
    lighting automatically switches off when there is enough daylight and when it is
    not required at night;
  • or the lighting fittings have sockets that can only be used with lamps
    having an efficacy greater than 40 lumens per circuit-Watt.

Last edited:
Also when fitting energy saving lamps alway fit the next size up why you ask well 60 watt incandescent is equal to 11 watt but the general public always say that they are too dull this is because 11 watts in my view gives 50 watts output so fit a 14 watt ie = to 75 watts but more like in my view 65 watt works all the time for me

Last edited by a moderator:
i have one comming up aswell, and the dude in edmundsons said the only ones thattick both boxes are the ones at ÂŁ35 a fitting, think part L and M

so according to the domestic building services compliance guide 2010 I can use standard light fittings with bulbs like this?

lumen 1510
wattage 25W

lumens/circuit watt = 60.1

is my theory correct. or can anyone correct me.

helix-30w-e27.jpg

Our Part Number2204
Cap Description27mm Edison Screw (E27)
Wattage 25W
Voltage 240V
Finish864 - daylight
Length 151mm
Diameter 60mm
Energy Rating CategoryA
Colour Temp 6400K
Rated Life 8000hrs
Equivalent To 75W
Lumen Output1510
Dimmable?No

From the building regs on the planning portal

Building Regulations

If you are carrying out electrical work and fixing lighting to the outside of
your house in England and Wales, you will have to follow new building
regulations rules.

You should either use an installer who is registered with the competent
person scheme or make an application to your local authority's building control
department or approved inspectors.

It is now a general aim to make our buildings as energy efficient as
possible. You are required to install efficient electric lighting to your house
in specific circumstances including:
  • When your dwelling has been extended
  • When your existing lighting system is being replaced as part of re-wiring
    works.
An example of efficient lighting is where reasonable provision should be made
to enable effective control and/or use of efficient lamps such that:
  • Either, lamp capacity does not exceed 150 Watts per light fitting and the
    lighting automatically switches off when there is enough daylight and when it is
    not required at night;
  • or the lighting fittings have sockets that can only be used with lamps
    having an efficacy greater than 40 lumens per circuit-Watt.
I searched for this and found this under the guidance for planing permission, it is interesting in that it does not match with the further information on internal lighting under planning permission that is still to the 2006 Building regs. and also does not match the information in the building services compliance guide. Way to make things clearer, government!
Thank you for the information.

so according to the domestic building services compliance guide 2010 I can use standard light fittings with bulbs like this?

lumen 1510
wattage 25W

lumens/circuit watt = 60.1

is my theory correct. or can anyone correct me.

Our Part Number2204
Cap Description27mm Edison Screw (E27)
Wattage25W
Voltage240V
Finish864 - daylight
Length151mm
Diameter60mm
Energy Rating CategoryA
Colour Temp6400K
Rated Life8000hrs
Equivalent To75W
Lumen Output1510
Dimmable?No
As far as I am aware this would totally comply with the energy efficiency requirements (whichever one you read). I think almost all CFL, Fluorescent, metal halide and LEd lamps comply with the 45lm/W.
The only caveat I would raise is the power factor, as the 25W may not be total consumption only output,but this would not mater with your example.

i have one comming up aswell, and the dude in edmundsons said the only ones thattick both boxes are the ones at ÂŁ35 a fitting, think part L and M
Be careful of what the "dude in Edmundsons" says as he may not know what he is talking about (nor may a random guy (me) on a forum!). He is just trying to sell.
I cannot see how part M applies to light fittings as the only part M considerations apply to lighting design and accessibility and size/design of switches.

well he said the fittings which allow gu10 led bulbs dont comply as you can replace them with i.e 50W halogens . but comply with another part as are energy efficent..

so my options are fire rated with an led bulb @ ÂŁ14 a fitting but dont comply with building regs cause they an be changed

or ÂŁ35 a fitting wich comply with both.. which i think is too exspensive for customer, well i think they wont buy it if nearly 60 fittings throughout

well he said the fittings which allow gu10 led bulbs dont comply as you can replace them with i.e 50W halogens . but comply with another part as are energy efficent..

so my options are fire rated with an led bulb @ ÂŁ14 a fitting but dont comply with building regs cause they an be changed

or ÂŁ35 a fitting wich comply with both.. which i think is too exspensive for customer, well i think they wont buy it if nearly 60 fittings throughout

The earlier regulations stated that the fitting must only be able to take low energy lamps, however this is now no longer the case, even if you can change the lamp for a non energy efficient one this does not matter. See the attachment on my post no 3 and read the supplementary information in the blue column.
This describes the two options.
LED lamps can also be considered low energy with integrated control gear.

If price is an issue then you can use Gu10 CFL lamps as they meet the >45lm/W requirement.

i know you get ten years warranty and all with fittings but some amount for lighting.. but i dont even know if money is an issue, ive just got the drawings here and working out all my options to look and sound professional..

i know you get ten years warranty and all with fittings but some amount for lighting.. but i dont even know if money is an issue, ive just got the drawings here and working out all my options to look and sound professional..

Supply of 60 off 230V fire rated GU10 downlights by Firestop @ ÂŁ9.88 ea
Fitted with 9W CFL lamps @ ÂŁ6.97 ea
In accordance with The Building regualtions Part L1B and the Domestic Building Services Compliance Guide 2010

when i drive past a government/council office building at 2.00am and it is NOT burning megawatts of lighting in an empty building, then i'll consider fitting ugly energy saving lighting. until then .... practice what you preach.

and how would you compare them to the normal halogen..

is 12v with transformer an option in energy terms

That makes no difference to the energy consuption of the lamp at all.

Be careful with the building regs if your working in Northern Ireland, they aren't the same as in England and Wales. Part F is what you need to comply with (Part L in it is about Heating Appliances etc).

As far as I am aware we still need to have the dedicated low energy fittings for 1 in 4 lights - it certainly was the case end of November when I last had any dealings with Building Control.

Apology:

Sorry I=P/U I had forgotten you were in NI, different rules!! Also different rules apply in EWS for non dwelling locations where the average efficacy should be 55lm/W. but may be again different in NI.
Also I have just calculated the lm/W of the GU10 CFL and they are actually about 22lm/W.
Most fluorescent lamps are over 45lm/W and I had assumed these were the same, I do apologise for giving inaccurate information.

This extract from the TLC (horror) technical site and this extract from the illuma catalogue gives some useful rough lamp data:
View attachment Illuma_Catalogue_extract.pdfView attachment TLC lamp types.doc

Reply to Energy Efficent Lighting in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net