Discuss Evoline worktop kitchen power units in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi, has anyone fitted these sockets, the customer is after something that pops up. just wanted to gauge whether there were any better or worse than others or anything i should watch out for.

David
(who is living with the in laws while the nice men knock the walls down in my house)

These things are basically extension leads, normally supplied with a lead and plug-top, they aren't part of the electrical systems wiring. Found that the up/down mechanism's don't last too long, not particularly all that waterproof around the work-top surface either unless you seal them in. Other than that, and you only use them for small load appliances, i guess they are all right!!!

These things are basically extension leads, normally supplied with a lead and plug-top, they aren't part of the electrical systems wiring. Found that the up/down mechanism's don't last too long, not particularly all that waterproof around the work-top surface either unless you seal them in. Other than that, and you only use them for small load appliances, i guess they are all right!!!

Damned with faint praise indeed. :)

I totally agree, they're a great gimmick for a 'show' kitchen. If you want to actually use them they're not so clever. The only thing I can add is that they suffer quite badly from having things constantly plugged in and unplugged as they're not very robust. So using a kettle for example, normally they stay plugged into a socket. With one of the pop ups you lift the socket, plug it in and boil it, the unplug it and drop the socket. Imagine the wear with that kind of use. If you leave the socket up and kettle plugged in it defeats the object.

Form over function.

I don't get why you would want one of these over normal wall sockets. What's the advantage? Daz

Damned with faint praise indeed. :)

I totally agree, they're a great gimmick for a 'show' kitchen. If you want to actually use them they're not so clever. The only thing I can add is that they suffer quite badly from having things constantly plugged in and unplugged as they're not very robust. So using a kettle for example, normally they stay plugged into a socket. With one of the pop ups you lift the socket, plug it in and boil it, the unplug it and drop the socket. Imagine the wear with that kind of use. If you leave the socket up and kettle plugged in it defeats the object.

Form over function.

Haha, .... As far as i'm concerned these pop-up extension leads have a very limited use. I certainly wouldn't be plugging in a kettle on one of these things. For me they are for ''occasional'' use only, for small power appliances. In that role, i guess they serve a purpose!! lol!!!

the purpose of this install is on an island in a kitchen, for occasional cooking appliances such as the blender for making cakes, no high usage as i guessed they were on a 13amp plugtop. was hoping for something that we almost invisible under normal circumstances, if someone produced a unit that you could put a peice of worktop in so it was invisible that would answer all my design prayers

I don't get why you would want one of these over normal wall sockets. What's the advantage? Daz

DPG the idea of these are for island units where there are no walls, so the extension socket just pops straight up from the flat worktop

Reply to Evoline worktop kitchen power units in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net