Discuss g59 engineering recommendations in the Electrical Engineering Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

I've not actually confirmed the size of the system but there is 2000m2 to be covered. I'm pretty sure that's out of G83/2!

Thanks for help everybody. I've received a feasibility study from the DNO so I will get started with that. It is a corrugated iron roof. Regarding the net-is that a safety net secured at all four corners of the building for falls?

Also, system design. Is that covered in the g59 or is it just BS7671 for cable sizes?

Check out the DTI guide, size the ac cabling as per 7671 for the equipment you are fitting, don't forget 4 pole isolation for the whole installation.
Size DC cabling as per bs7671 but allowing for worst case scenarios on loading eg shortcircuit current plus correction factor and open circuit voltage plus correction factor.

then make sure the volt drop is all within limits as specified as dti guide 1%AC and 3%DC

If you are fitting a below 50kw system then most dnos let you fit g59/2 type approved equipment and no g59 relays, if anything else you are looking at a relay box and probably witness testing from dno(some do some don't!)

The main factor is speaking to your DNO and making sure you know exactly what they want and get it in writing!!!!

another thing to organise is an export mpan which can take time, although we have had one within a day from ukpn!

Make sure you include some provisional costings for cable upgrades even if the DNO says it doesn't need to reinforce the network as they can change their minds daily, especially if the supplier has issues with meter changes.

hope that helps a bit!

I'd double check the roof type before ordering the nets in. Nets are only needed for fragile roofs and metal roofs aren't normally classed as being fragile roofs unless they're particularly thin sheeting / not properly supported or rusting badly.

Reply to g59 engineering recommendations in the Electrical Engineering Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net