Discuss Help please -UK Private Rented 1 bed flat - comfort/storage heaters - £634 bill for 3 months from Scottish Power in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi. Please can someone offer me advise. I have a 1 bedroom flat with storage/comfort heaters (don't know which) that I don't turn on as I can't afford to run them. I have always had really high electricity bills and two metres which are supposed to cover day and night usage. Scottish Power have been charging me about £200 per month between February - March 2021 and I don't know why it is so high considering I don't have the storage heaters on.
I contacted the energy ombudsman and they've said that Scottish Power can charge what they like. I've asked my landlady if I am paying for other flats electricity and she has said no (I haven't seen any wiring plans though).
This morning, I checked with the lady who rents the flat downstairs and she pays about £150 per month. Is this normal and am I in a position to request a change to one meter? Will changing to one meter reduce my energy bill?

Please let me know what rights I have as a tenant and if there is some way I can find out if the metres are wired correctly? If anyone knows of someone near Basingstoke who can quote to look at this for me, please get in touch.

Thanks

Cold in Basingstoke.....

Is what Scot-Power are charging based on meter readings or an estimate.?
If there was higher energy use in the past the charge would be based on that but should correct itself when Scot Power get meter readings.

What are you using for heating if not the Storage ones?

Scot Power can only charge what you use through the meter(s), not whatever they like.

If you tell us your unit charge for energy we can work the maths out, but initially that does sound high if you're not using any electric heating.

Is what Scot-Power are charging based on meter readings or an estimate.?
If there was higher energy use in the past the charge would be based on that but should correct itself when Scot Power get meter readings.

What are you using for heating if not the Storage ones?

Scot Power can only charge what you use through the meter(s), not whatever they like.
Scottish Power are and have been receiving meter reads since they took over from Yorkshire Energy in December 2020. At the moment, we don't have any heating so I put on the cooker for 10 minutes when it gets really cold. We have the computer running and the fridge and immersion heater but that's it.

I had 3 storage heaters in my first house and they seemed to eat electric to the point I actually removed one of them

18.89p/kwh on both accounts. One is supposed to be day rate and one night rate so I don't know why they are both the same.
They shouldn't both be the same rate If you have elected for a dual rate account.
When you say "both accounts", do you mean two separate bills with different account numbers?

As per Snowhead, taking readings from both meters, and then after a day taking them again, would be helpful.

Are the meters in your flat, or in another area of the house?

A test that might be worth conducting is to turn absolutely everything off in your flat, preferably pulling all the plugs out, turning off all the lights etc. and seeing if either of the meters continues to flash it's red light (indicating consumption). I appreciate that would not be convenient to do it for very long, but if an indicator was flashing it would point to the possibility of consumption going on that is not related to your use!

Hi,are your utility company charging on two different rates,for each meter? You may be paying more for the electricity the cooker uses,whilst using it as a heater.
As mad as it sounds,try turning everything you think uses power,in your flat,off for a day/night.

After which,there should be no change in the meter readings on both meters. Ensure the low rate meter is not on any timer.

Who on this forum is a meter expert?
Those look like two single rate dumb meters to me?
Surely neither of those, on its own, is capable of knowing the time or logging off-peak only?
Unless there is a seperate time switch in the circuit - but that method hasn't been used for many years.
Or maybe I'm wrong?

Sarah - are you able to take a photo further back to show if there's any timer type device connected to either meter please?

In connection with the above by Avo, can Sarah G also post photos taken further away from the meters showing where the cables that go into them originate, also possibly a photo showing the meters belonging to the other flats.

If there's any exact address details or names can you cover that over.

For what it's worth... my 2 bed flat (no jacuzzi etc.) cost me £30.62 last month (September) for electricity. I have no gas.

For what it's worth... my 2 bed flat (no jacuzzi etc.) cost me £30.62 last month (September) for electricity. I have no gas.
30.62/30/0.1889=5.4kwh/day??, hardly excessive. (meter rental is probably also included?)

replied to wrong poster,
Sarah's usage, 634/90/0.1889=37.3kwh/day, allow 5kwh/day for normal use then 32.3kwh/day for storage heating,

Last edited:

Reply to Help please -UK Private Rented 1 bed flat - comfort/storage heaters - £634 bill for 3 months from Scottish Power in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock