Discuss How many fire alarms do i need to install on a 3 bedroom house (2 floors) in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

charlalberts

Hi, Could someone give me advice on how many fire alarms need to be installed on a 3 bedroomed, 2 floor house? I know with loft conversions every room besides the bathrooms need alarms, but what is the requirements for a standard double storey house?

Do they also need to be mains powered, or can they be 9v battery operated?
House it to be rewired.
Thanks for looking, and thanks in advance for your comments.

Dont get me wrong there is nothing wrong with the 9v fire alarms! they save lives
Only problem is they dont interlink!

The fire brigade provide free of charge fire alarms to residential houses so if this is your house worth giving them a ring - they are 3v battery powered but guaranteed for 10 years.

Think of it this way - if the heat alarm goes off in the kitchen (door closed) are you going to hear it? - NO!
If it is interlinked to the upstairs alarm will you hear it - YES!

Weigh up the risks - how much is your/your families/the customer's family's life worth? - Dont cut corners when it comes to safety

Doesn't it all depend on the size of the property as to what system/ how many alarms need to go in? I remember wiring simple interlinked smokes in a property but then the building inspector came out to sign off the 1st fix and he said it had to be a proper system with panel because of the size of the house. I was working for a company and only just out of my time at this point so i had no clue about this requirement when i was wiring. Haven't got the regs to hand so i cant remember what the categories are.

Doesn't it all depend on the size of the property as to what system/ how many alarms need to go in? I remember wiring simple interlinked smokes in a property but then the building inspector came out to sign off the 1st fix and he said it had to be a proper system with panel because of the size of the house. I was working for a company and only just out of my time at this point so i had no clue about this requirement when i was wiring. Haven't got the regs to hand so i cant remember what the categories are.

How big of a property did you install this in?

Most domestic properties have a standard interlink system

Just remember with fire alarms, as long as every room that has a risk item of equipment (e.g. cooker, dryer, open fire, etc) has a smoke in it then your fine. You can go OTT with these systems but its all down to what the customer wants.

Some customers dont want panels so a standard interlink system is fine, an advantage is the locate unit, so if you have a large building - press the locate button and all alarms stop apart from the one which was activated! - they also have a reset button and a silent button as well.

again thats Aico.

Go onto Aico and request the free contractors booklet - all you need to know is in there

Top and bottom of the stairs to protect escape route. Avoid putting smoke alarm to close to the kitchen as it will keep going off, same with bathrooms. Smoke alarms are designed to provide early warning in case of fire so you can get out of the house not go and fight the fire, so keep this in kind when positioning them.

How big of a property did you install this in?

Most domestic properties have a standard interlink system

Just remember with fire alarms, as long as every room that has a risk item of equipment (e.g. cooker, dryer, open fire, etc) has a smoke in it then your fine. You can go OTT with these systems but its all down to what the customer wants.

It was a biggie, 25m Wide, 11m deep, 3 storey, 5 Bed mansion worth about 2mil. I was just really doing what my supervisor at the time told me to do because like i said i was only just out of my time. It had all the Legrand Arteor home automation in, was a joy to work on.

Smoke throughout on every landing and hall

Heat in the kitchen NOT ABOVE the hob as I seen before

Heat in the utility room (if they have one) for the dryer

Interlink the CO2 alarm in with the lot as well - always dread CO2 leak and you cant hear the bloody alarm because you closed the door.

The idea behind this is that your not going to mess around when the alarm goes off in the middle of the night - your going to get dressed and get out either way!

If its a bigger house I have installed a sounder upstairs for the CO2 alarm before instead of interlinking them.

I got a 4 story house to do next week - new build and debating what to put in: panel or interlink. I want the panel but landlord/owner wants the interlink, even though I can build this in the wall with a system he is alerted by text if the alarm goes off.

Reply to How many fire alarms do i need to install on a 3 bedroom house (2 floors) in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net