Discuss How to verify that all power is dead coming into building? and guide wire burned? - kinda urgent in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

dt4653

DIY
Reaction score
First, I am way out in the country in a snowstorm and cannot get an electrician out to look at this today. The power company said this isn't their responsibility (and it isn't).

I've got a power pole that's damaged and tipping over after a major windstorm (100 mph). The pole is supporting a wire that runs from the meter pole to a building. I need to disconnect the wire from the building so when it falls over it doesn't tear the wall or breaker box out. I have a breaker on the meter pole that is supposed to have shut power off to the building, and indeed it does seem shut off, but it was a home job done by a now deceased relative known for taking short cuts, so I don't exactly trust that things are as they should logically be. I need to disconnect this wire from the building asap.

This is the multimeter I have: Klein Tools 0 - 1000F LCD Multimeter 1 pk - Ace Hardware - https://www.acehardware.com/departments/lighting-and-electrical/electrical-tools/meters-and-testers/3554235

1st question: What multimeter settings do you need to check if electricity is in a line going into a building? There would be a lot of juice going into the building here, enough to run large welders. See first pic, the main line I need to test is going into the top of the breaker box. I planned to open the breaker box once I get back to the building with my meter.

breaker box.png

2nd question: The guide wire attachment to the building is burned off, see picture. I saw this and got concerned that it was wired incorrectly and perhaps juice was flowing through this guide wire where it shouldn't have been. So I have to go up and test it before disconnecting and letting the wire fall to the ground to make sure it isn't hot for some reason. I assume I'd use the same multimeter setting as in the first question? Also, anyone know any other reasons why this guide wire would burn up like this and burn the anchor? As far as I can tell nothing else has been damaged anywhere else on the line.

burnt guide wire and anchor.png

I have used this meter to test 3 phase breakers, and do have some experience. I haven't done it much nor for a couple of years, so I'd really appreciate some feedback before I get up on a ladder and do this today. Thanks!

I ended up testing every way I could on the meter. Surprisingly there was always a slight bit of electricity reading on the meter, I think .42 on the AC setting. Building has been saved, I hit the pole a couple of times with a sledge hammer and it toppled over, so this wasn't done a moment too soon.

Reply to How to verify that all power is dead coming into building? and guide wire burned? - kinda urgent in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net