Discuss Inspection Report, Electric Shower, Merlin Gerin and Schneider MCBs in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

No, I will ask him to do only the remedial work.

That's my point, having the hob and oven on the same circuit is fully compliant with the current regulations. Suggesting that there is any need for them to be on seperate circuits is incorrect and they are ripping you off.
They may not be deliberately ripping you off, it could be through a genuine lack of knowledge of the regulations, but either way it is wrong.

There are far too many electricians who have not properly read and understood the changes in the regulations and are still working to previous editions of the regulations. This is often unintentional and they are just falling back on what they were taught as an apprentice.

I briefly spotted an accusation there in a post with regard to doing the job myself!
I wish I could that would save me a fortune... I will ask my Electrician if he will source the original MCBs but I thought I would try to make the whole thing easier... I am a researcher and the IT/internet thing is a breeze for me... I'm not so sure about the person with the doubts/accusations but hey ho! Were all entitled to our opinions right or wrong I suppose...

My wife is a registered childminder with the Care Commission. This is the reason we needed the;

DOMESTIC ELECTRICAL INSTALLATION CONDITION REPORT
Issued in accordance with British Standard BS 7671 - Requirements for Electrical Installations,
...in the first place. Safety first!

Maybe the person with the comments is just a DIYer and that's what they would do.
Also it's our house and our CU and our MCBs so I am entitled to find out as much information about them as possible. Just in case I come across the type of rip-off person who would make such comments as self installation and probably do the job themselves...

Thanks again...
[automerge]1577228091[/automerge]
That's my point, having the hob and oven on the same circuit is fully compliant with the current regulations. Suggesting that there is any need for them to be on seperate circuits is incorrect and they are ripping you off.
They may not be deliberately ripping you off, it could be through a genuine lack of knowledge of the regulations, but either way it is wrong.

There are far too many electricians who have not properly read and understood the changes in the regulations and are still working to previous editions of the regulations. This is often unintentional and they are just falling back on what they were taught as an apprentice.
Interesting, I will get clarification on this from my local authority building services dept...
The guy seems genuine to me and we like him a lot... But you never know! He is young and perhaps has not fully understood the regulations as you say.
Thanks for the great advice...

Interesting, I will get clarification on this from my local authority building services dept...
The guy seems genuine to me and we like him a lot... But you never know! He is young and perhaps has not fully understood the regulations as you say.
Thanks for the great advice...

Local authoritys generally don't have a clue about the wiring regulations as it is nothing to do with them.

Unfortunately you have to trust the electrician you hire, or spend a few years learning the trade yourself.

Ask the electrucian to show you the actual regulation which they believe this does not comply with. The book they will show you is BS7671 'The 18th edition IET wiring regulations' (or words to that effect, I can't remember the exact wording but the BS number is right) which is an A4 size book with a blue cover (any other colour is a previous version which is not current).
They may also show you the on site guide which is an A5 size ring bound book with a blue and white cover. This is an official guide to regulations.

Local authoritys generally don't have a clue about the wiring regulations as it is nothing to do with them.

Unfortunately you have to trust the electrician you hire, or spend a few years learning the trade yourself.

Ask the electrucian to show you the actual regulation which they believe this does not comply with. The book they will show you is BS7671 'The 18th edition IET wiring regulations' (or words to that effect, I can't remember the exact wording but the BS number is right) which is an A4 size book with a blue cover (any other colour is a previous version which is not current).
They may also show you the on site guide which is an A5 size ring bound book with a blue and white cover. This is an official guide to regulations.
Here is a snapshot of section 7 of the report I may have got my information wrong... What are your thoughts please?

Attachments

• Inspection Report, Electric Shower, Merlin Gerin and Schneider MCBs Inspection Report Snapshot - EletriciansForums.net
    Inspection Report Snapshot.png
    59.6 KB · Views: 101
Those are all C3s and are only recommendations, you should have received a satisfactory report and no remedial works are required.

Those are all C3s and are only recommendations, you should have received a satisfactory report and no remedial works are required.
Yes understood , but I would like the house to be 100% goodly as far as Electrical is concerned. I am unsure as to the real-time effect of the recommendations...
What would you recommend?

I wouldn't be too worried about any of the defects listed there. Carrying out the work suggested should improve the installation, but nothing is required to be done. The certificate should state the installation is in a satisfactory condition.

If you are moving out very soon then why bother with the hassle? Stick with a lower power shower unit.

Thats the best bit of advice you've been given (including the #4 @Wilko, which won't multi post here?). Unless anything is dangerous, and that appears not to be, I wouldn't be doing anything if you are moving soon. Ask an estate agent. I recently moved, and felt inclined to renovate certain things before putting my place on the market, but was advised not to.

The eventual buyer, never mentioned anything. If there are things that need changing or upgrading, that will be reflected in the offer price; people want to put their own mark on the property they are investing in. Which, incidentally IMO, would be replacing that horrible looking CU.

Merry Xmas everyone.

Thats the best bit of advice you've been given (including the #4 @Wilko, which won't multi post here?). Unless anything is dangerous, and that appears not to be, I wouldn't be doing anything if you are moving soon. Ask an estate agent. I recently moved, and felt inclined to renovate certain things before putting my place on the market, but was advised not to.

The eventual buyer, never mentioned anything. If there are things that need changing or upgrading, that will be reflected in the offer price; people want to put their own mark on the property they are investing in. Which, incidentally IMO, would be replacing that horrible looking CU.

Merry Xmas everyone.
Hi Midwest, got that... The report did come back as satisfactory.

However, I don't like the idea of passing on possible issues to the next person, call it good karma or something. Call me old fashioned, but my grandparents, who lived through two world wars would never have done that either.

I understand a buyer may rip it all out and that's fair enough. If we were not selling we would commission a full rewire/complete upgrade ourselves and I would insist that the highest quality CU and cabling/fittings etc were used.

As a matter of interest, what would you be replacing the horrible CU with?

Merry Christmas to you and all...

Thanks

I would leave well alone also and you are not handing over a poor job TBH and Merlin boards are really good.

You will be hard pushed to find a board of better quality

Hi Midwest, got that... The report did come back as satisfactory.

However, I don't like the idea of passing on possible issues to the next person, call it good karma or something. Call me old fashioned, but my grandparents, who lived through two world wars would never have done that either.

I understand a buyer may rip it all out and that's fair enough. If we were not selling we would commission a full rewire/complete upgrade ourselves and I would insist that the highest quality CU and cabling/fittings etc were used.

As a matter of interest, what would you be replacing the horrible CU with?

Merry Christmas to you and all...

Thanks

I suspect your prospective buyer would have their own survey and an EICR etc carried out, but as has been already said, your report doesn’t appear to highlight any dangerous issues. I don‘t know your property, but if I was buying an older property, I would be expecting potentially to have upgrading it’s infrastructure, which would include re-wiring, plumbing & heating etc.

I doubt if my misses looked at your CU would have any concerns, but my electricians head just sees it as plain nasty, no offence meant. Others here would argue differently.

Replace your faulty shower, like for like, and keep your money for your new house, don’t spend it on the old one.

Those Merlin boards are solid and will out last a lot of the crap available now. Don't waste your money as you'll probably need it for the unexpected on your next property.

Yes that's pretty solid advice from all of you guys... Looking at the CU and considering the hassle and costs I might just take the easy option.

Wait though a plan has presented itself! Looking at the CU again, it occurs to me that it would no doubt be easy for the Electrician to move the 40amp Cooker MCB to the protected ways and then put the shower on that 40 amp MCB circuit. At the same time he could move the cooker circuit onto the 32amp protected ways MCB.

Thus downgrading the MCB for the Cooker circuit and at the same time upgrading the Shower circuit allowing a larger capacity shower to be fitted. This would also be partly in line with his recommendations would it not?

Does that Make sense, would that be possible, would it be in line with the regulations?

Thanks...

Here is a snapshot of section 7 of the report I may have got my information wrong... What are your thoughts please?

Number 2 can be solved by fitting RCBO's rather than replacing whe whole DB.

Number 3 and 5 are nonsense, there is no need to replace things just because they are 'dated' this hould not have been recorded as an observation at all unless they have deteriorated through age so that safety is reduced.

Number 4 is nonsense, there is no limit to the number of appliances that can be run from a single circuit.

Number 6 again can be solved by fitting RCBO's to the existing board.

Number 2 can be solved by fitting RCBO's rather than replacing whe whole DB.

Number 3 and 5 are nonsense, there is no need to replace things just because they are 'dated' this hould not have been recorded as an observation at all unless they have deteriorated through age so that safety is reduced.

Number 4 is nonsense, there is no limit to the number of appliances that can be run from a single circuit.

Number 6 again can be solved by fitting RCBO's to the existing board.
Well seeing as you are throwing in the bombs on page 7 here's the rest of it...

Attachments

• Inspection Report, Electric Shower, Merlin Gerin and Schneider MCBs EICR Snapshot1s - EletriciansForums.net
    EICR Snapshot1s.png
    63.9 KB · Views: 58
  • Inspection Report, Electric Shower, Merlin Gerin and Schneider MCBs EICR Snapshot2s - EletriciansForums.net
    EICR Snapshot2s.png
    8.9 KB · Views: 60
  • Inspection Report, Electric Shower, Merlin Gerin and Schneider MCBs EICR Snapshot3s - EletriciansForums.net
    EICR Snapshot3s.png
    84.3 KB · Views: 70
  • Inspection Report, Electric Shower, Merlin Gerin and Schneider MCBs EICR Snapshot4s - EletriciansForums.net
    EICR Snapshot4s.png
    115.7 KB · Views: 58
  • Inspection Report, Electric Shower, Merlin Gerin and Schneider MCBs EICR Snapshot5s - EletriciansForums.net
    EICR Snapshot5s.png
    118.9 KB · Views: 55
  • Inspection Report, Electric Shower, Merlin Gerin and Schneider MCBs EICR Snapshot6s - EletriciansForums.net
    EICR Snapshot6s.png
    106.4 KB · Views: 53
  • Inspection Report, Electric Shower, Merlin Gerin and Schneider MCBs EICR Snapshot7s - EletriciansForums.net
    EICR Snapshot7s.png
    102.8 KB · Views: 52
  • Inspection Report, Electric Shower, Merlin Gerin and Schneider MCBs EICR Snapshots - EletriciansForums.net
    EICR Snapshots.png
    81.2 KB · Views: 49
Well seeing as you are throwing in the bombs on page 7 here's the rest of it...

On page 3:
they have recorded the model number where they should have recorded the serial number of the tester.
It is apparently a 3 phase 3 wire supply, yet from your earlier picture it is clearly a single phase 2 wire supply.
The value for U is incorrect
The value for prospective fault current does not correlate with the value of Ze recorded.

And they haven't carried out any insulation resistance testing???

Did they wear a stetson and ride a horse?

On page 3:
they have recorded the model number where they should have recorded the serial number of the tester.
It is apparently a 3 phase 3 wire supply, yet from your earlier picture it is clearly a single phase 2 wire supply.
The value for U is incorrect
The value for prospective fault current does not correlate with the value of Ze recorded.

And they haven't carried out any insulation resistance testing???

Did they wear a stetson and ride a horse?
I don't doubt your reckoning at all davesparks, what you have said makes sense. It looks like we have been led a merry dance with this guy. He is such a nice guy too, butter wouldn't melt... I am really peaved off with the Electrician. I paid for this inspection and shoddiness will not do at all!
The first thing I am going to do is contact, 'SELECT', after the holidays. The main body with who he is registered. I will ask them to carry out an investigation.

Dependant on their advise, I will then ask for him to explain himself and request a refund of the costs he charged us for the inspection!

I have made a copy of the advice gathered here on the forum and will present this to, SELECT with my statement. We will see what happens from there...

Thank you for your very good advice and i will update this thread as soon as I have had a response from SELECT.

It is guys like him that are giving you guys a bad name. Now it seems that even though I checked his credentials that still wasn't good enough! What the hell is an ordinary guy got to do to get a proper job done!!!

Thank you very much for pointing out these mistakes...

I don't doubt your reckoning at all davesparks, what you have said makes sense. It looks like we have been led a merry dance with this guy. He is such a nice guy too, butter wouldn't melt... I am really peaved off with the Electrician. I paid for this inspection and shoddiness will not do at all!
The first thing I am going to do is contact, 'SELECT', after the holidays. The main body with who he is registered. I will ask them to carry out an investigation.

Dependant on their advise, I will then ask for him to explain himself and request a refund of the costs he charged us for the inspection!

I have made a copy of the advice gathered here on the forum and will present this to, SELECT with my statement. We will see what happens from there...

Thank you for your very good advice and i will update this thread as soon as I have had a response from SELECT.

It is guys like him that are giving you guys a bad name. Now it seems that even though I checked his credentials that still wasn't good enough! What the hell is an ordinary guy got to do to get a proper job done!!!

Thank you very much for pointing out these mistakes...
I think you should speak to the guy before reporting him. He will have a complaints procedure that you should follow.
You have gone from thinking he is wonderful to appalling in a short space of time from taking advice from strangers on a forum. I'm not saying they are wrong, but at least speak to the guy and form your own opinion before possibly damaging his career.

....No, I will ask him to do only the remedial work. I'm sure he would be asking a lot more for a 4 bedroom, 1 sitting room, 1 bathroom, 1 cloakroom and a kitchen rewire with a new consumer unit. He said half a days labour of £250 for the remedial work and in my experience over the years with various Electricians in Edinburgh, that is a good price.
It will no doubt be extra for the shower that I don't mind paying. It will probably come in around £1000 that would be fine for me...
I thought Scotsman had a reputation for being careful with money ?

I'm confused now...

Reply to Inspection Report, Electric Shower, Merlin Gerin and Schneider MCBs in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock