Discuss Installation of Storage Heaters in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

dlewis_DE

Evening All,

Wondered if any of you guys could offer me some advice... I have been asked by one of my customers to spec and install some room storage heaters.

Is it best to install all the equipment first then ask the customer to contact the DNO to get a dual tariff meter fitted etc.

If any of you have a guide on how this 'should' be done then this would be greatly appreciated.

Also, any further information that might be useful then please could i have it?

Thanks

Dave

I'd think you ought to notify load change to make sure no objections from DNO first but doubt there would be a problem unless its out in the wilds somewhere and fed via 2.5 T+E !

What type of property ?

Is it all electric ? If it is great but if not it its not going to be the best choice.
If it is all all electric is it super insulated to reduce running costs - i'd be up front with them and make sure they know it isn't going to be cheap to run unless the heat losses are kept as low as possible.
Encourage draught proofing, loft and cavity wall insulation, reduced air permeability, heat recovery ventilation (if air permeability low). etc.

Hello again All, I've been to the house and carried out an assessment on the property....... The story goes like this. The house currently has under floor heating downstairs which was installed about 30 years ago. It has gradually stopped working and only one room Is operational. it has a couple of other 16a radials supplying 3 upstairs storage heaters. all this is supplied from the off peak power supply. The other board is running off the standard peak supply, no real problems with that. It turns out that about 6 months ago it popped the main fuse (at this point all the under floor was working ok). The DNO came and replaced the service head and recommended that he get the installation looked at. (it turns out that he did notice that the main cable coming into the house was getting warm at night). He wants to replace the under floor heating for 5 x additional storage heaters in the down stairs rooms. Having calculated the room sizes etc, I've worked out that he needs 2 x 2.5 Kw, 2 x 4.25 kw and 1 x 3.4 kw heaters = 17KW = 73 amps....plus the 3 heater already installed upstairs plus the immersion......so, gonna be close to 95amps.........(it is a very large house) I have already asked him if he had considered alternative systems etc, but he is retired and wants as little disruption as possible...... My recommendations to him are going to be that he either gets the suppler to install another supply or consider an alternative heating method..Gas If was to add anything else to this installation I wouldn't be able to sleep at night.

Reply to Installation of Storage Heaters in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net