Discuss Is it Part P, is it a special location, is it needed? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

Poptasticdave

For anyone whose not read my intro from a few months ago, yes I am qual'd (to 16th ed), no I'm not currently reg'd with a scam provider, no I don't currently work as a spark and yes the question I'm asking is about my own house. Oh, and if it IS part P or a special location, then yes I will be using a reg'd spark rather than doing it myself.

OK, here's the situation - in my bathroom there is a supply which used to go to the immersion. Cylinder long since moved to workshop next to boiler. No longer have an immersion at all. 12 years ago (whilst I was still reg'd) had a pumped power shower fitted for which pump was in the (empty) cylinder cupboard. Pump supplied via 2A Switched fused spur on end of old Immersion cable, where 20A DP immersion switch had been.

Few years ago different (better!) plumber came to repair shower pump and said it should have been installed lower down than cylinder outlet, therefore pump re-located to workshop, under cylinder. Pump still supplied via 2A Switched fused spur in bathroom, as it still is.

I'd quite like to get rid of all electrics in bathroom, so proposal is this:

1. Disconnect old Immersion supply at CU.
  2. Reconnect shower pump, via relocated 2A Spur plate, to BOILER and CENTRAL HEATING supply, which is in workshop on a radial going straight back to CU (run in 2.5mm with 16A breaker at CU). This would put TWO spur plates on the end of the radial, each with 2A fuse in, and only part of "new circuit" would be about 6 inches of 2.5 T&E between existing boiler spur plate and relocated shower spur plate.
  3. Remove redundant, disconnected, 2.5 from bathroom altogether.

My interpretation of regs is that I would not be doing any work in a "special location", other than removing redundant cable and fittings, supply to which would have been isolated elsewhere, I would not be running any new circuits and therefore I can do this legally without notifying building regs.

Two questions - firstly do folk agree with my interpretation of regs? and secondly, although I can't find anything in regs, does anyone think I'm either being foolish or contravening a reg I've not noticed by NOT having local isolation for the pump in the room where the shower is, even though that's NOT the room where the pump is? (by the way, the pump currently has local isolation by means of a plug and socket right next to it, on the end of the cable from the switched fused spur plate. I wasn't going to bother changing that, even though the relocated switched fused spur would be within 5 feet of pump too.)

Any (vaguely serious) thoughts very much appreciated.

Can't see a problem with your proposal. Seems entirely reasonable. And I don't think it's notifiable if you're removing a circuit from the bathroom and not replacing it.

No need for electrical isolation of the pump in the room where the shower is. Isolation is best close to the pump.

i'll be honest , i didnt read much of that after the first line.
look its your house , so just do the work and keep your mouth shut , i wouldnt be concerned about what was notifiable when working in my own home ;-)

This thread both shocked and surprised me,you need to be a very worried man

You are best to keep what you are doing securely under wraps for the time being
As I understand it,few people in Yorkshire have a bathroom and it will only make those without one very jealous
:eek:

This thread both shocked and surprised me,you need to be a very worried man

You are best to keep what you are doing securely under wraps for the time being
As I understand it,few people in Yorkshire have a bathroom and it will only make those without one very jealous
:eek:
are you trying to claim were the great unwashed up in gods own there Des?...:shocked3:

@ Dave (op) you are an electrician and you know what you are doing in your own house, just get on with anything you need to do. Who is going to grass on you? Your wife, children, family or friends???

We give advice to diyers on here all day long every day of the week about how to do something. Advice to a 16th ed sparky = get on with it. Only problem you may have in the future is if you sell your house so therefore you post a thread asking one of us lot to do an EICR (aka pir) and no one knows mate.

Part P is water proof dont you know wink, wink pmsl :rofl:

Whilst BS7671 considers the whole room where a bath or shower is located, to be a special location.
Part P only considers the zones to be the special location.
As such, if the wiring is outside of any zones, they are not in a special location as far as Part P is concerned.
Anything more than 600mm from the bath or shower tray is outside of the zones, as is the space beneath a bath or shower if it is accessible only by means of a tool.

@ Dave (op) you are an electrician and you know what you are doing in your own house, just get on with anything you need to do. Who is going to grass on you? Your wife, children, family or friends???

We give advice to diyers on here all day long every day of the week about how to do something. Advice to a 16th ed sparky = get on with it. Only problem you may have in the future is if you sell your house so therefore you post a thread asking one of us lot to do an EICR (aka pir) and no one knows mate.

Part P is water proof dont you know wink, wink pmsl :rofl:
its all a load of cac to me Paul when an electrician cant do work on his own bloody house without this, that an`t other getting involved...

are you trying to claim were the great unwashed up in gods own there Des?...:shocked3:

No not at all Glenn
Being full of miners Yorkshire could only have been like my land of "he who shall not bathe" (only the posh people had bathrooms) lol
The rest could only sneak a shower down the pit baths :eek:

its all a load of cac to me Paul when an electrician cant do work on his own bloody house without this, that an`t other getting involved...

Abso Bloody Lutly Glenn.... I remember when I first started on this forum and an industrial spark posted a question of "can I fit my own shower?"

He had qualifications that have taken him over 15 years (whilst in employment) to achieve and he was stopped from fitting a new shower in his own home ffs??? He can design a bloody power plant - sub staion and wire them up but he's not allowed to play with 10mm T+E for crying out load.

In his post he did list the full correct design of the proposed shower install with every detail included and everything was perfect in his design so we all told him to get on with it and dont tell the Part P Police, whoever they are because I've never seen one yet!

Abso Bloody Lutly Glenn.... I remember when I first started on this forum and an industrial spark posted a question of "can I fit my own shower?"

He had qualifications that have taken him over 15 years (whilst in employment) to achieve and he was stopped from fitting a new shower in his own home ffs??? He can design a bloody power plant - sub staion and wire them up but he's not allowed to play with 10mm T+E for crying out load.

In his post he did list the full correct design of the proposed shower install with every detail included and everything was perfect in his design so we all told him to get on with it and dont tell the Part P Police, whoever they are because I've never seen one yet!
its shameful Paul..it really is...
so some kitchen fitter someware can do it....but not an industrial spark...
jesus wept....

Thank you all; responses very much appreciated. I'll get round to the job sometime over the next few weeks then.

Of course, taking the point that in Yorkshire we don't all have bathrooms, I suppose I could take the shower and basin out too and have an extra bedroom .......always handy when extra people come to stay at Christmas ;-)

Thanks all!

Reply to Is it Part P, is it a special location, is it needed? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net