Bulk Workwear - Clothing Suppliers for the Whole Forum Network
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Discuss MCB replacements, "To P or not to P, that is the question". in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

pmcsparks

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

Three situations on which I'd appreciate comment.
  1. Replacing S-E fuse carriers (BS3036) with plug-in MCB's (Wylex or whoever) in older CU's.
  2. Replacing cartridge carriers (BS1361) with plug-in MCB's (Wylex or whoever) in older CU's.
  3. Replacing failed MCB's (BS EN 60898) on a like-for-like basis in newer CU's.
Should any of these be treated as notifiable?

Bulk Workwear - Clothing Suppliers for the Whole Forum Network
S

shocking_eg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
the time you have paid for plug in jobbys you could have paid for a new RCD protected DB ??

Three situations on which I'd appreciate comment.
  1. Replacing S-E fuse carriers (BS3036) with plug-in MCB's (Wylex or whoever) in older CU's.
  2. Replacing cartridge carriers (BS1361) with plug-in MCB's (Wylex or whoever) in older CU's.
  3. Replacing failed MCB's (BS EN 60898) on a like-for-like basis in newer CU's.
Should any of these be treated as notifiable?
You didn't alter a circuit and you didn't add a circuit, like for like is allowed, so I would say no ( though I am not a part p sparky )

P

pmcsparks

Shocking_eg and farmelectrics maybe both missing the point.
Replacing the CU is most definitely notifiable.
I'm not 'Part P' registered and LABC fees round here are £250 for 'Part P' work.

topquark

-
Mentor
Arms
I'm not 'Part P' registered and LABC fees round here are £250 for 'Part P' work.
If you give them your quals list (and copies) they should do a "reduced rate", still around the £150 mark most places (£140 it used to be here).

P

pmcsparks

Thanks for the tip, I'll try that one next time I do something notifiable.

D

Deleted member 26818

I would say no; there is no requirement for notification.
The only thing you will have to wach out for, is that the Zs are low enough for the MCBs on lighting circuits.

G

Guest111

I thought that was a question only us older sparks faced after waking up in the wee small hours on a cold winters morning whilst standing looking at the toilet bowl.:frown:

M

mogga

you would have to do a EIC rather than a MWC as you are changing charecteristics of the circuit

If you give them your quals list (and copies) they should do a "reduced rate", still around the £150 mark most places (£140 it used to be here).
Not in my neck of the woods. £180+VAT for anyone, regardless of qualifications. Not that it affects me, as I'm part P registered.

S

shocking_eg

i wasnt talking regarding the part P side of it, reading the OP's post again i see what he means.

but i was just clearly suggesting that why pay out for £100+ for plug in mcb's when you that amount of money could buy a new CCU ?

no real advantage of adding plug in's other than the easy reset as compared to BS3036's RW Fuses.

each to there own :)

i dont want to start any more bitch fights on here ! lol

P

pmcsparks

How many times have you seen 3036's with wrong fusewire?

D

Deleted member 26818

The requirements for issuing an EIC or a MWC in no way relate to whether circuit characteristics are altered.
The requirements are whether alterations/additions to a single or multiple circuits are to be recorded.
An EIC may be issued to cover a single or multiple circuits, a MWC can only be issued for a single circuit.
In the OP's case, they could issue a single EIC to cover all circuits altered, or multiple MWCs, one for each circuit.

uHeat Banner - Forum Discount Available

Reply to MCB replacements, "To P or not to P, that is the question". in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Top Bottom