Discuss New CU onto MICC in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm changing a CU in a church hall fed by a 16mm2 x 2 core MICC (pyro) cable using the sheaf as an earth.
I think I'l get away with unhooking the old CU and threading the cable through a knockout and reclamping. But, just in case I screw up I've been trying to track down a gland kit to remake the end.
I've very little experience of this and only on 1.5s.
I've not had any luck tracking down suppliers of 16mm2 2 core kits yet, 4mm seems to be the max size stocked. Does anyone out there know where I can find one?
Any advice on remaking the connection gratefully received!
Cheers

Hi,
I'm changing a CU in a church hall fed by a 16mm2 x 2 core MICC (pyro) cable using the sheaf as an earth.
I think I'l get away with unhooking the old CU and threading the cable through a knockout and reclamping. But, just in case I screw up I've been trying to track down a gland kit to remake the end.
I've not had any luck tracking down suppliers of 16mm2 2 core kits yet, 4mm seems to be the max size stocked. Does anyone out there know where I can find one?
Cheers

Not a difficult job at all, take it easy don't rush, oh and it's sheath

Hi,
Cheers

you don't mean by using a Tenby clamp do you? and try these for Heavy duty pots.

http://www.cablejoints.co.uk

Last edited:
Thank you for the replies.
I know that sometimes the ends can go brittle so I'm just allowing for the possibility of having to remake the joint. my main problem is I havnt found any suppliers of 2 core 16mm2 kits yet.

I think what I may do instead is turn the old CU into an isolator by fixing a blanking plate onto the cover and running a set of tails of the DP isolator to a consumer unit below. (at least it will be accessible without a ladder then!)

Cheers
Steve

Thank you for the replies.
I know that sometimes the ends can go brittle so I'm just allowing for the possibility of having to remake the joint. my main problem is I havnt found any suppliers of 2 core 16mm2 kits yet.

I think what I may do instead is turn the old CU into an isolator by fixing a blanking plate onto the cover and running a set of tails of the DP isolator to a consumer unit below. (at least it will be accessible without a ladder then!)

Cheers
Steve

That sounds as rough as a Pig Ear!!

Do they??

Ever thought of enquiring with the company manufacturing the MICC, don't you think they'll know who they supply and with what?? Or even if they can supply you direct!!

That size MICC, is not for the inexperienced ,I would say it is 2H16, will take quite a lot abuse before it fails, but if it does, you need some one to give you an hand with experience on this cable, like your willingness to have an go.!! Micc termination packs should be readily available at wholesalers.?

@Engineer54
Yep, old MICC can be prone to problems, especially in an old shed that's going to be knocked down next year!
My 'pigs ear' will be:
The steel CU has a steel lid which I'll cut out for the isolator and screw down with self taps to satisfy 526.3
I'll add a dinrail and use these to extend the cables :
https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/WA500.html?source=adwords&kw=&gclid=CI6Nv7_3r8QCFQTJtAodMTMAnQ
The new CU will be more accessible (part M something or other..)
I've googled around for information before coming here. Good idea to get in touch with the company manufacturing MICC (whoever they are!) thanks.

Thanks for the encouragement Dave. Looks like I'll be able to avoid risking any problems with 'Plan B' above..

Regards
Steve

@Engineer54
Yep, old MICC can be prone to problems, especially in an old shed that's going to be knocked down next year!
My 'pigs ear' will be:
The steel CU has a steel lid which I'll cut out for the isolator and screw down with self taps to satisfy 526.3
I'll add a dinrail and use these to extend the cables :
https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/WA500.html?source=adwords&kw=&gclid=CI6Nv7_3r8QCFQTJtAodMTMAnQ
The new CU will be more accessible (part M something or other..)
I've googled around for information before coming here. Good idea to get in touch with the company manufacturing MICC (whoever they are!) thanks.

Thanks for the encouragement Dave. Looks like I'll be able to avoid risking any problems with 'Plan B' above..

Regards
Steve

one small prob i like to see you try and fit 16mm into lever wagos have a look at topjob din rail connectors

@Engineer54

Can it? I had to change and slightly move a DB with a 2core 0.0225 square inch (equivalent to the 16mm you have) last year. I can't say I noticed any problem at all with it. At most it'll need a little bit of annealing to soften it up if it's been overworked when it was installed.

And if the building it is in is being knocked down next year then why does the DB need replacing?

Thanks for the replies.
Corbs:The wagos are for extending the existing circuits. 16mm tails go into the isolator (busbar removed)
Old CU is a bit of a wreck and I need more ways for the workshop equipment.

All, please check out my original post. I'm not saying it's not possible to rework the pyro into a new board. I needed a contingency if I get a problem with the pyro termination. I can't leave the project without power while I'm trying to hunt down a termination kit. I couldnt find a termination kit at my normal suppliers. Not much luck googling around hence the question.

Thanks for the responses so far. Can nobody recommend a supplier?
Regards
Steve

Out of interest, what are you going to run from the old DB to the new?

Pyro will have been fitted for a reason. Now is the time to think about what you’re planning.

Thanks for the link Lee

Tony, good point, MICC was used (I believe) because the majority of the run goes through a church which I believe is subject to regs because of the number of people.
I'll be using 500mm of 16mm tails between the old CU converted to a junction box / isolator.

Thanks

Reply to New CU onto MICC in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net