Discuss Odd cooker isolator position in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

In all seriousness though, the way I sought the information I needed then, thinking it was correct without actually checking the facts first is actually a bit of an eye-opener for me. It has made me realise that I not only rely on those expensive books I've bought but, more importantly, I seriously NEED to get my head in them a bit more!!

I'm really annoyed at myself. I'm a professional electrician who takes pride in his work yet I fell at the first hurdle in this instance.

Gutted about it. 😔
I don't think there is a need to beat yourself up for not knowing after all to be able to quote all the regs verbatim from memory is a tall order for anyone

In some ways take it as an on the hoof risk assessment it looked dangerous / problematic so you sought advice, you could have consulted all the books, I quoted from the On-Site guide and then went to the regs book and after looking through the regs for a while I gave up because while there may be an answer in there the index was frustating the search and I had other things to do

The thing with inspection is identifying potential issues and following up with the information to substantiate any or all the issues you have found, so in this case you have completed the task and the information is now stored in the experience bank for future

I don't think there is a need to beat yourself up for not knowing after all to be able to quote all the regs verbatim from memory is a tall order for anyone

In some ways take it as an on the hoof risk assessment it looked dangerous / problematic so you sought advice, you could have consulted all the books, I quoted from the On-Site guide and then went to the regs book and after looking through the regs for a while I gave up because while there may be an answer in there the index was frustating the search and I had other things to do

The thing with inspection is identifying potential issues and following up with the information to substantiate any or all the issues you have found, so in this case you have completed the task and the information is now stored in the experience bank for future
Thank you so much for this. I honestly really appreciate your comment! :)
I do have a tendency to overthink an issue then run around gathering as much info as possible when all I really needed to do was to take a step back and work the issue logically.
When you involve other people, you invite all manner of opinions and thoughts and that can be a dangerous mix.

I remember asking a friend of mine who has Technician status about an issue I found during an EICR. I was fretting about it and gave him a whole load of scenarios etc etc. He simply said "is it safe for continued use?"................and that's the crux of it. Is it safe for continued use? In this case, no it wasn't. The answer is, as you guys have clearly helped with...remove the offending item and reposition it to a safe location.

Lots of lessons learned here from me. 🙏

Reply to Odd cooker isolator position in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net