Discuss Old original period light switches , condition report. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Are these the old switches where the covers are screwd on by Hand old Bakelite small round thingys ?
, if so that's an issue as potential access to live part without the use of a tool
. I would code that as a 2 me thinks .
Funnily enough I'm doing a job in a old hospital witch is now a museum were I am using the old( looking ) bespoke switches on wooden backing fancy

My Mum's house had those switches until I rewired it an I can assure you that they DID need a tool to access the live parts.

The tool I used was a hammer because there were so many coats of paint on them it was impossible to screw to covers off them without smashing them !!!

Ha when I think an electrical accessory may be open'd by hand by absolutely anyone like a child or anyone . If a lamp holder is accessible to a child via bunk bed I've changed them before I think someone is at risk as with these switches accessible live part without tool . And with lamp holder I consider the use of a ladder to access a tool only an opinion witch I have . You give up ohhh I'm gutted il miss you

modern ones, place rewired about 10yrs ago, split load boards
DSC_0566.jpg

Ha when I think an electrical accessory may be open'd by hand by absolutely anyone like a child or anyone . If a lamp holder is accessible to a child via bunk bed I've changed them before I think someone is at risk as with these switches accessible live part without tool . And with lamp holder I consider the use of a ladder to access a tool only an opinion witch I have . You give up ohhh I'm gutted il miss you

My cousin when he was a small child circa 1955 got out of bed during the night to go to the toilet - as you do.

He switched the light on and nothing happened because his mother had nicked the bulb (lamp??) to replace one that had popped, so he climbed onto the toilet seat and stuck his thumb into the bulb holder.

He's going on for 70 now and still has the 2 scars on his thumb.

Had he been holding onto the water pipe (high level cistern - chain pull job) with his other hand he would certainly have been dead.

Are these the old switches where the covers are screwd on by Hand old Bakelite small round thingys ?
, if so that's an issue as potential access to live part without the use of a tool . I would code that as a 2 me thinks .
Funnily enough I'm doing a job in a old hospital witch is now a museum were I am using the old( looking ) bespoke switches on wooden backing fancy
A code 2 Really?

Attachments

• images44.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 53
My cousin when he was a small child circa 1955 got out of bed during the night to go to the toilet - as you do.

He switched the light on and nothing happened because his mother had nicked the bulb (lamp??) to replace one that had popped, so he climbed onto the toilet seat and stuck his thumb into the bulb holder.

He's going on for 70 now and still has the 2 scars on his thumb.

Had he been holding onto the water pipe (high level cistern - chain pull job) with his other hand he would certainly have been dead.
joking aside that was lucky and also cos they had a toilet indoors! posh area eh?!

Last edited by a moderator:
never mind, plenty more sheep on the mountain

Attachments

• 1622167_10152873364761029_60058470_n.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 50
magynyby.jpg
one of these ??
I always keep them when I come across them , don't know why ???

i had one made of porcelain in my display case until someone binned it

anyway i would be concerned with its resistance when closed. and the condition of the contacts
at that age heat could have caused some weakness in the contacts.
its all well and good that a customer wants to preserve vintage equipment but safety is the primary concern here.
if you issue a report state the facts and make the customer sign a waiver absolving you of responsibility.
cover your arse

Last edited:
joking aside that was lucky and also cos they had toilet indoors!

I know!!

Very surprising that they had an inside netty considering that this house was in Nenthead (near Alston)

They had no gas and I'm not sure if they have yet and only had electricity courtesy of a lead processing plant in the village that was supplied from the grid.

A code 2 Really?

In my opinion yes . As the ones that are manufactured today have there live terminals insulated by a screw cover , with the round cover still screw'd on as originals did over the top I've got a load on the van at the mo . Just genuinely interested in others opinion on this I don't think my thinking on this is demented as per biff's quote

In my opinion yes . As the ones that are manufactured today have there live terminals insulated by a screw cover , with the round cover still screw'd on as originals did over the top I've got a load on the van at the mo . Just genuinely interested in others opinion on this I don't think my thinking on this is demented as per biff's quote
Changing the subject slightly, if the switches are that old whats the wiring like ?

i had one made of porcelain in my display case until someone binned it

anyway i would be concerned with its resistance when closed. and the condition of the contacts
at that age heat could have caused some weakness in the contacts.
its all well and good that a customer wants to preserve vintage equipment but safety is the primary concern here.
if you issue a report state the facts and make the customer sign a waiver absolving you of responsibility.
cover your arse

I put at least 20 of them in the bin a month !

The ones in question are older.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wonder if he means the old industrial type toggle switches, they look quite smart in brass although I don't think it was intentional at the time

You might be able to find somebody that makes the porcelain switch units that go behind the plates but can't say I've ever seen them

Wonder if he means the old industrial type toggle switches, they look quite smart in brass although I don't think it was intentional at the time

You might be able to find somebody that makes the porcelain switch units that go behind the plates but can't say I've ever seen them

Yeah its the type that are held on by the threaded ring around the toggle only...

Reply to Old original period light switches , condition report. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net