Discuss Old original period light switches , condition report. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

i really dont see the point in starting a thread asking for advice , then completely ignoring it cos no-one agrees with your intial assessment.

just a waste of everyones time in contributing.

Agreed, but the customer is asking me to then produce a "satisfactory" report following remedial works and upgrades where necessary. So its not a case of doing the report and buggering off.

IF it's "satisfactory" when you tested it then issue a "satisfactory" report !!!

You can buy and fit a brand new switch today and issue a "satisfactory" report on it and that same switch can still fail next week - and it DOES happen !!!

Where does that leave you and your "satisfactory" report??

It's the same with the light in the netty.

Yesterday you switched it on and you could see clearly enough to get most of the pee into the pot, but today when you switched it on it didn't work and you peed on the floor.

That is because yesterday the bulb performed to specification and the little bit of wire inside glowed with great incandescence worthy of earning a satisfactory report, but that was yesterday. How the hell could you know then that you were going to pi$$ in your shoes today ??

It is what it is at the time and that all there is!!

Yes, it could be fine at the time of testing but due to its age its far more likely to fail in the near future Id say. Would you reuse these switches in a rewire and issue an installation certificate based on good resistance readings at the 100 year old switches?

Lets say something goes on fire and you were the last guy to pass these 100 year old switches as "safe"? Id rather cover my --- and issue a C3.

Then why don't you go and do just that and stop faffing about wasting everybody's time??

You ask for "advice" and when you get it you reject it and go your own sweet way anyway so why are you bothering asking in the first place??

came across 'bakerlite' toggles recently, some appeared brand new and all were deemed ok. loose connections could also cause 'arc'. had modern switch that 'lit up' when operated. old might not mean unsafe.

think i've still got pics (of toggles), will try to add later

what was more concerning than toggles was a 'cotton' type material lamp shade' hung directly on an incandescent lamp in a 2yr olds bedroom. this was sorted immediately and i didn't care if 'okayed' by gaffer or not!

Last edited by a moderator:
came across 'bakerlite' toggles recently, some appeared brand new and all were deemed ok. loose connections could also cause 'arc'. had modern switch that 'lit up' when operated. old might not mean unsafe.

See the difference in this post ? This is genuine advice minus the smart arse comments...Thanks Jaypp.

Should I quote for 2 new RCD boards as the current 2 are non RCD ?

Cause I have !....I should say the customer has asked for me to "upgrade where possible" :)

- - - Updated - - -

lol defo not a troll, just don't appreciate the smart arse comments.

Then it's a good thing you didn't get any.

The advice you were given was sound albeit wrapped in a bit of gentle humour.

Suck it up or move on.

Are these the old switches where the covers are screwd on by Hand old Bakelite small round thingys ?
, if so that's an issue as potential access to live part without the use of a tool . I would code that as a 2 me thinks .
Funnily enough I'm doing a job in a old hospital witch is now a museum were I am using the old( looking ) bespoke switches on wooden backing fancy

magynyby.jpg
one of these ??
I always keep them when I come across them , don't know why ???

Reply to Old original period light switches , condition report. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net