Discuss Oven element problems in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

14tod

-
DIY
Reaction score
Hi I have a double oven Europa Smartcook.Generally we need a new element every year, which I can live with, and they always blow whilst cooking. Yesterday however having cooked the meal the oven was switched off but the fan was running cooling as per normal. twenty minutes later big bang, large flash of flame and power tripped. Stunk of burning but clearly wasn't still on fire. Can anyone explain why the element would blow when the oven was in cooling mode, specially as only replaced a month ago. Ta Tod

I also think you need a new oven mate. You shouldn't be replacing elements that often.
At least get someone to have a good look at it.

Ive got a british Gas engineer coming tomorrow through home serve, but they always want to just replace the element. I was most concerned that it happened when the oven was off. Need some ammo for tomorrow to know a little about what Im talking about.

Is it definately the element which has blown ?

If the fan was running when it went bang then that would surely be the number 1 suspect.

no point changing whole oven, better change the supplier of oven elements, they supposed to last more than a year (3 years is average)
bang may be loose wiring inside, have a qualified person have a look in there.

Is the element the type that's circular in shape with a couple of turns and it sits around the outside of the fan like this one?
View attachment 27343

Or is it more of a square/rectangular shap that lats in the bottom of the oven like this one?
View attachment 27344

your attachments aren't opening on my work computer but it is a round one two bars, around the fan, mounted on the back of the oven wall. with a plate in front of it.

They often make this type of element in a higher heat density which means it's a more compact element where the heat output is higher per meter of element tube. The reason they can get away with the higher heat density tube is that the fan is constantly blowing large quantities of air through the element which stops it reaching a temperature where the tube melts and goes bang.

If the fan fails the elements often fail shortly afterward. If there's a partial air restriction it can mean the element life is shortened accordingly so maybe if the airflow is 10% restricted it might last 1 year instead of 3 or 4 years for example. Putting tin foil in the bottom of the oven could cause this, maybe if the internal oven panels aren't correctly fitted or badly distorted it could also cause similar problems and maybe a build-up of grease or carbon at the bottom of the rear panel could give this result as well.

Never write off the possibility the elements being installed are simply cheap and poor quality generic parts and also the possibility that whatever went bang wasn't actually the element.

Is it right for the element to be able to blow after the oven is switched off, surely the element is not receiving electric when the oven is off, even while the fan is running.

It's more likely something other than the element this time from what you say about the oven being off at the time.

Reply to Oven element problems in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net