Search for tools and product advice,

Discuss Part P On-line Exam in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

I agree with Des, we have a license system or we continue down the ridiculous path that we've been on for the last few years where quite honestly, standards seem to be dropping constantly.

Last edited:
The industry as been, and will continue to be, an open field to anyone who thinks they can install,overwhelmingly in the domestic sector

There are no controls, only customer based common sense,(which is usually not apparant) this statement includes part p seeing that this is also of no consequence
The industry is a mess from top to bottom

Maybe its the country its in I think I'll find a cave and revert ti fire.:p

Thanks Paul. :) I'd be struggling much more if I didn't have so many people willing to offer the support. You guys help where you can, I help where I can. Not much at the moment, but as I progress I hope I can return the favour to others also. I haven't been involved in the industry for any length of time, but I see the frustration alot of you guys feel, and I feel it myself. I don't have the answers, just plenty of questions ;)

Good on you for the workshop Manda I did it that way to practice every day and test to make it hardwired so to speak.

Tell me and I'll forget
Show me and I'll Remember
Involve me and I'll Understand

I guess there's that, but I wonder just how fool proof it is? As someone said in a post I read earlier, they phoned the local building control, told them their quals over the phone, and were given the go ahead. If the house then burns down with a family in it, labc may have taken the onus, but I'm still responsible for those people dying through lack of quality experience.

If you notify labc then they are responsible you would have done your job correctly as they should inspect and test before THEY energize if they don't they have failed to do there job.

If someone with no qualifications or training can use and do use this process then why not you.

Tell me and I'll forget
Show me and I'll Remember
Involve me and I'll Understand

I like that one!
Thanks Marty, can't wait to get it up and running. Family are already taking the p#*@ that they're fitting a phone and doorbell to the cellar and some uv tubes. Lol, they'll prob be right. Really looking forward to getting some practice in until other experience comes up!!

If someone with no qualifications or training can use and do use this process then why not you.

Because in good conscience I couldn't walk into an house and potentially put someone's life at risk. I'd rather be confident in knowing I had the experience to back up the bits of paper. There's just no way I would set out on my own minus the experience.

Because in good conscience I couldn't walk into an house and potentially put someone's life at risk. I'd rather be confident in knowing I had the experience to back up the bits of paper. There's just no way I would set out on my own minus the experience.

Sense prevails... good on you especially if you have never worked with buildings,

I like that one!
Thanks Marty, can't wait to get it up and running. Family are already taking the p#*@ that they're fitting a phone and doorbell to the cellar and some uv tubes. Lol, they'll prob be right. Really looking forward to getting some practice in until other experience comes up!!

Don't forget to get a kettle, fridge and microwave and in the style of Wallace and gromet invent a dog feeding and walking machine incase you forget about him.

Lol there's no way on this earth he'd allow me to!!! No doubt he'll be down there with me with a bed and some chews, a can of special brew, string vest and copy of nuts magazine ;)

Here is an idea (getting back to the subject). Why don't they make it a qualification? This can be taught in with the 2330 l2 & L3 for new sparks and existing sparks just sign a contract type form saying they agree to adhere to these regs (i know it wouldn't be needed but hear me out). That way we can all say we are part p qualified and Joe public knows he has a qualified electrician and you don't have to sign up to any other scheme if you don't want or need to.... We just need one label like gas safe that everyone knows, a rating system to identify the different level of sparks and what they can and can't do.

Some sparks don't want to work in commercial or industrial though. There is also issues with finance and 3 year courses for adult learners. But would be good.

Hi
Just joined the forum. I have been a Domestic installer for some years now, am Part P registered and lecture at college on the Domestic Electrical Installers Course. A course that has been nicknamed "The Part P". We all know it is not Part P certification but some training companies are trying to pass it off as that.
It was put together by EAL and the Peart P service providers to allow those people who are not already in the trade, to have a chance of getting into it. ie there was no way they could get experience if they were not working electricians or working for a company that would train them. It then became apparent that unit 1 of the course would benefit all electricians, so I believe it is now going to be included in the service providers assessment. If you have the unit 1 cert you will not be asked the Part P questions evry year on your tech assessment. Thats the way I see it anyway. The course has been devised by the service providers and EAL/EMTA and lays down what areas and expertise has to be covered. It is quite comprehensive but I don't think anything will replace actual experience of the job its self. Hope this shines a bit more light onto it. Cheers Hec:confused:

Reply to Part P On-line Exam in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net