Discuss PAT testing stored equipment in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi all, I've never posted in any sort of forum before, but this time... I cannot find answers anywhere.

I need to know if items that are in indefinite storage still need PAT testing.

I'm the maintenance man at an animal rescue centre, we have alot of equipment in storage e.g. heat mats, scales, various office and IT equipment.

The Equipment in storage could potentially be there for years to come before being considered for use again, given that I have around 300 items to test anyway, and a rough guess of 25 - 30 items, that's a lot of items and a huge amount of time consumed.

My question is... do I need to test all these items in storage or can that be done when taken out of storage and before being put back into use?

Sorry for the long winded question

Thanks

TL;DR
Need to know if equipment in indefinite storage need PAT testing.
I would say it's a judgement call based on how they have been stored. Is it a completely dry environment, any temperature extremes, dust etc? How long have they been stored? Have they been placed in there or just thrown in a pile?

I would say it's a judgement call based on how they have been stored. Is it a completely dry environment, any temperature extremes, dust etc? How long have they been stored? Have they been placed in there or just thrown in a pile?

They are in a dry and ventilated area, temperature will vary somewhat but not enough to cause cold or damp conditions, all on pallets off the floor, stacked nicely and smaller items boxed (I'm very particular about organisation etc) some have been there for a few years, most/vast majority will probably be there for years to come.

Licencing inspectors are very particular and thorough, but my time is also limited with a huge amount of work keeping this place up to scratch on my own.

Thanks for the reply

You need to put measures in place to prevent their use unless they are inspected and tested.

How long have they been out of use though? If it's only a couple months then I would say no issue, but if longer then as i say, a judgement call

Assuming the Staff are aware all equipmnet should have a current test date on it then test the stored items when likely to be put back into use.

Generally identifying items not tested, say on the store room door or boxes / pallets should cover for any inspection.

I'd put signs up and label the items, stating that they've been quarantined and not to be brought back into service until suitable inspection and testing has taken place. i'd also have a register of the quarantined kit with serial numbers etc...

They should also be locked away and not accessible.

Hi all, I've never posted in any sort of forum before, but this time... I cannot find answers anywhere.

I need to know if items that are in indefinite storage still need PAT testing.

I'm the maintenance man at an animal rescue centre, we have alot of equipment in storage e.g. heat mats, scales, various office and IT equipment.

The Equipment in storage could potentially be there for years to come before being considered for use again, given that I have around 300 items to test anyway, and a rough guess of 25 - 30 items, that's a lot of items and a huge amount of time consumed.

My question is... do I need to test all these items in storage or can that be done when taken out of storage and before being put back into use?

Sorry for the long winded question

Thanks
It would be the responsibility of the "Asset Manger of your rescue centre" to decide the testing frequency, although hire companies and the like Carry out ISITEE (PATesting") on issue nw customers, if you are still unsure, or your Mangers at the rescue centre does not have a copy of the "Code of Practice for ISITEE" then you need to get a copy ASAP. Goggle ISITEE to get further information. Hope this helps.

Thank you all for the advice.
Nothing gets taken from the storage without me knowing, only myself and the manager have access to the storage and she is aware that nothing is to be used without inspection/testing.
I just wanted know if there is a legal requirement or regulation that covers this.

Thank you all again, I think I can manage from here.

the legal requirement (if any) is that they should be fit and safe for use. this is down to "duty of care". from you last post (#9) it appears that youhave it under contol and any item shouls be tested before being put back into use. testing an appliance that may be locked away for months is pointless.

the legal requirement (if any) is that they should be fit and safe for use. this is down to "duty of care". from you last post (#9) it appears that youhave it under contol and any item shouls be tested before being put back into use. testing an appliance that may be locked away for months is pointless.

Exactly why i wanted know for sure, there's a lot of items to be tested and potentially a lot of time wasted doing so...

Cheers chaps

Diolch yn fawr
(Thank you very big) :laughing:

It would be the responsibility of the "Asset Manger of your rescue centre" to decide the testing frequency, although hire companies and the like Carry out ISITEE (PATesting") on issue nw customers, if you are still unsure, or your Mangers at the rescue centre does not have a copy of the "Code of Practice for ISITEE" then you need to get a copy ASAP. Goggle ISITEE to get further information. Hope this helps.
If your Rescue Centre doesn't have an Asset Manager "AM" they need to get one appointed as soon as.
The AM will need to make a register of ALL Electrical equipment that requires testing held by the centre.
Appoint an AM and select a competent Person to do the testing, no qualifications needed, just deemed competent, although the C and Gs course will help but not required not an easy job, but once all the preliminaries are sorted, should be simple to keep updated, for the right person.

Thanks pete999, by description, that'll be me, I have a large folder for all pat test records, equipment register, locations etc, test records, damaged or repaired equipment record, the lot. I have now made a separate list for items in storage and they are not to be used until tested.

Thanks pete999, by description, that'll be me, I have a large folder for all pat test records, equipment register, locations etc, test records, damaged or repaired equipment record, the lot. I have now made a separate list for items in storage and they are not to be used until tested.

Sounds like you're doing a thorough job. Nice one.

Reply to PAT testing stored equipment in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock