Discuss Power socket in bathroom in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

jaguar999

DIY
Reaction score
Hi All,
Need advise on something.
I have seen a diagrem somewhere showing that we cant have any electrical socket near the washbasin/tub etc. However when visiting my friend's house, which is a new build, I saw that the electric tap for the wash basin had a sicket just below the washbasin. Althought that area was enclosed in a fitted cabinet.
Question: is is ok to have sockets inside a fitted cupboard and within the "no sockets" zone in the bathroom?

The zones are for distances from baths and showers.

1643293900094.png

As you see, depending on the distance, there is no zone for a washbasin. Also it is within a cupboard.
Personally I'm not a fan of sticking a socket there. I would have used a switched fused spur and hardwire it in that. Stops idiots plugging other stuff into it.

3m from zone 1. if in an enclosed cupboard, then the 3m rule can be ignored.

Ieed advise on something.
I have seen a diagrem somewhere showing that we cant have any electrical socket near the washbasin/tub etc. However when visiting my friend's house, which is a new build, I saw that the electric tap for the wash basin had a sicket just below the washbasin. Althought that area was enclosed in a fitted cabinet.
Question: is is ok to have sockets inside a fitted cupboard and within the "no sockets" zone in the bathroom?
i this post from hello hello .🤣🤣

I thought the enclosed clause was if it was only accessible using a tool.
Firstly, I want to shake you by the hand as you have unwittingly solved a long standing mystery for me.
Until this evening, I have never managed to see what that * at the bottom of the page was referenced by. I knew the rule from the text earlier, but couldn't ever find any corresponding *'s.
I had clean glasses for once, and was sitting in the best lit chair in the house, and bingo! The two tiny specks leapt out for the first time ever. And by heck they are small! One less mystery in the world.

1643311111366.png

Ok, now that's out of the way. The tool thing is only relevant if the area in question is in zone 0, promoting it to zone 1.
There are no zones specifically relating to a wash basin (don't be confused by the hundreds of diagrams on the web showing a zone around a basin, they are all wrong!).
e.g. THIS IS WRONG:
1643311818544.png
So forget that bit completely.

Normally sockets are permitted 3m from zone 1, but the cupboard counts as a fixed partition (see 701.32.1 General) so is out of zones even if the room is small that the wash basin is within 3m of zone 1.

Firstly, I want to shake you by the hand as you have unwittingly solved a long standing mystery for me.
Until this evening, I have never managed to see what that * at the bottom of the page was referenced by. I knew the rule from the text earlier, but couldn't ever find any corresponding *'s.
I had clean glasses for once, and was sitting in the best lit chair in the house, and bingo! The two tiny specks leapt out for the first time ever. And by heck they are small! One less mystery in the world.

View attachment 94375

Ok, now that's out of the way. The tool thing is only relevant if the area in question is in zone 0, promoting it to zone 1.
There are no zones specifically relating to a wash basin (don't be confused by the hundreds of diagrams on the web showing a zone around a basin, they are all wrong!).
e.g. THIS IS WRONG:
View attachment 94377
So forget that bit completely.

Normally sockets are permitted 3m from zone 1, but the cupboard counts as a fixed partition (see 701.32.1 General) so is out of zones even if the room is small that the wash basin is within 3m of zone 1.
Thanks, I was lacking the enthusiasm to pick up the regs tonight. It's not just out of zones but out of location according to that paragraph. I do wonder if that was the intent. It's logical for a boiler in a cupboard but a bit odd of a socket.

Reply to Power socket in bathroom in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net