Discuss Problems with Axiom MCBs in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Sounds fine then.

For overload protection then yes.

For fault protection it would also depend on the sub-board Zs which in turn depends on your supply Ze and the sub-main feeding that CU. Of course you can disconnect using the RCD to avoid the demanding final Zs value, but MCB are fare more reliable so I always feel a little uneasy going down that route.

Essentially your NYYJ R1+R2 would be added to your sub-main R1+R2 and your supply Ze and the total final circuit Zs has to be 0.28 ohm or less to meet 0.4s ADS.

Would you actually test your RCD regularly using the test button?
I know it's not ideal but I can't see a better way of making the plasma cutter work, when D type is the recommended fuse. I've checked the welder manual too now and it recommends a D45 or D63, no wonder it occasionally tripped the B32. I never use it on more than 3/4 power so the D32 should solve that issue too.

I do agree with what you are saying, but if my supply Ze is high there isn't much I can do about it is there? I will get it tested but I don't think there will be a resistance problem over 30ft of 16mm then 10ft of 6mm surely? So if the total Zs is high it will be the supply so I'll be stuck using the RCD anyway

Last edited:
if my supply Ze is high there isn't much I can do about it is there? I will get it tested but I don't think there will be a resistance problem over 30ft of 16mm then 10ft of 6mm surely? So if the total Zs is high it will be the supply so I'll be stuck using the RCD anyway
There actually are things you can do. Fuses have higher max Zs values, e.g. a BS88 32 amp fuse max Zs would be 0.79 ohms. So if the total Zs is high best practise would be to at least consider if there are other ways to supply the equipment in order to allow automatic disconnection of supply to be via the over current protective device as opposed to an RCD.
But until we know the actual readings from your installation we can't really advise.

I will get it tested but I don't think there will be a resistance problem over 30ft of 16mm then 10ft of 6mm surely? So if the total Zs is high it will be the supply so I'll be stuck using the RCD anyway
Depends. If it is 16mm 2-core SWA then R1 = 1.15 ohm/km, and R2 = 3.7 so for about 10m that is 0.049 ohm. If 3-core then R1=R2 = 1.15 so R1+R2 about 0.023 ohm.

For NYY-J 6mm it is about R1 = R2 = 3.08 so 0.019 ohms for 3m.

Working backwards from 0.28 for 32A D-curve we have:
  • 2-core Ze max = 0.28 - 0.019 - 0.049 = 0.21 ohm
  • 3-core Ze max = 0.28 - 0.019 - 0.023 = 0.24 ohm
Both are quite low. If you are TN-C-S you might meet them (assuming your PSCC at supply is a bit over 1kA) but probably not if TN-S (and no way TT). Measuring the current workshop CU Zs & PSCC would be the best starting point.

As @timhoward has already pointed out a fused-switch for 32A is much easier to meet, but check the manufacturer's data on what fuse(s) are acceptable.

If there is no way other than an RCD for meeting disconnection then one option for higher reliability, not the cheapest, is to have a 100mA delay RCD on the sub-main supply and a 30mA 'instant' for the socket outlet. That way you would still disconnect in under 0.4s even if one RCD was faulty. However, depending on how it comes from your main house CU that may (or may not) be easy.

You don't need the usual additional RCD protection on SWA cable even if it is buried or hidden in plaster (assuming armour is earthed as it should be and it meets 5s disconnection) so if you have a non-RCD 63A C-curve feeding a separate RCD enclosure to feed the sub-main, you could change that for a 100mA delay and then have a 30mA one in the workshop CU for shock protection.

Depends. If it is 16mm 2-core SWA then R1 = 1.15 ohm/km, and R2 = 3.7 so for about 10m that is 0.049 ohm. If 3-core then R1=R2 = 1.15 so R1+R2 about 0.023 ohm.

For NYY-J 6mm it is about R1 = R2 = 3.08 so 0.019 ohms for 3m.

Working backwards from 0.28 for 32A D-curve we have:
  • 2-core Ze max = 0.28 - 0.019 - 0.049 = 0.21 ohm
  • 3-core Ze max = 0.28 - 0.019 - 0.023 = 0.24 ohm
Both are quite low. If you are TN-C-S you might meet them (assuming your PSCC at supply is a bit over 1kA) but probably not if TN-S (and no way TT). Measuring the current workshop CU Zs & PSCC would be the best starting point.

As @timhoward has already pointed out a fused-switch for 32A is much easier to meet, but check the manufacturer's data on what fuse(s) are acceptable.

If there is no way other than an RCD for meeting disconnection then one option for higher reliability, not the cheapest, is to have a 100mA delay RCD on the sub-main supply and a 30mA 'instant' for the socket outlet. That way you would still disconnect in under 0.4s even if one RCD was faulty. However, depending on how it comes from your main house CU that may (or may not) be easy.

You don't need the usual additional RCD protection on SWA cable even if it is buried or hidden in plaster (assuming armour is earthed as it should be and it meets 5s disconnection) so if you have a non-RCD 63A C-curve feeding a separate RCD enclosure to feed the sub-main, you could change that for a 100mA delay and then have a 30mA one in the workshop CU for shock protection.
It's 3 core and the armour is earthed both ends so should be pretty low. I think a fused switch is a good idea, I will definitely look into it. Supply is TNCS so hopefully won't be required but we will see.

It's 3 core and the armour is earthed both ends so should be pretty low. I think a fused switch is a good idea, I will definitely look into it. Supply is TNCS so hopefully won't be required but we will see.
OK, that is looking promising.

As a 32A socket outlet you need the 30mA RCD somewhere, just how it is engineered depends on the overall design. If it is at the sub-main feed already (as you said in post #10) then at the workshop you can use any very high-value breaker as a convenient means to feed the fused-switch while keeping distribution and overall isolation from whatever CU you end up with there. Certainly Hager or Schneider are good quality and they actually give to information to allow selectivity to be computed.

But...this is not how you would design an installation for this purpose!

Reply to Problems with Axiom MCBs in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net