Discuss Recessed MK boards .... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

It doesn't, but you will need to be sure that the new OCPDs or RCBOs meet the requirements of BS EN 61439-3, or even a product recall, failure to do so could result in a F1 or even a C1 or C2 on any future EICRs
I am referring to installing a new recessed consumer unit eg like the Hager one we were looking at Elex.

Well.......That unit looks pretty grubby!! What's the rest of the house like? That will be one of those jobs where you bring your own flask of tea and say "No, I'm alright for a drink thanks" lol
Maad ---..... You'd be tellin' 'em to get a power shower for cleaning the new one.

Purchased and fitted my first mk board yesterday, never used one before and will never ever use one again such poor quality I expected better from mk of all people

The only bad thing about them is the mcbs go wonkey if youre too limp wristed to hold them straight as you torque the bus bar terminals correctly. Easily solved by not being limp wristed;) granted its probably the only brand that does it, but easily remedied and theyre soooo cheap..

What did you find so bad? What do you usually fit
The breakers don't sit straight after being tightened, they generally have a cheap feel to them, the brass screws on the earth and neutral bars are as soft as butter, it came pre-wired wrong with the neutral Coming out the bottom of the live terminal on the main switch (split board) if you tighten an mcb too much it splits at the top, the last could probably be saved by using a torque screwdriver though. I get wylex generally but the odd contactum also

and the response from MK reads as follows:

"Thank you for your email.

Unfortunately both the flush board and the RCBO`s for this board were made obsolete many years ago (1991) and have not been superseded.

We no longer manufacture flush consumer units.

Thanks"

So there we have it...............

I agree that they’re not the best but for the money I’d still stick one in a budget job. My go to dual RCBO/high integrity is Hager. Full RCBO in a domestic job I’ll normally shove in a lewden board as the RCBO’s are half the price of Hager, Wylex etc.

I'm going to go back and take a look - I suspect its a stud wall

Its a solid wall ........

existing CU is about 370mm wide, 190mm high and 80mm deep

Suggestions please:

MK Recessed 2.jpg

Rightly or wrongly id be re populating with new mk rcbos on that one, shoot me down if you wish, that walls gonna get destroyed trying to get that armoured gland fudged into another one

Absolutely agree. It's just a din rail enclosure. Put new Sentry Main Switch, an MCB for bell tx and RCBO's for the final circuits and then it's still all MK. I would really argue that changing that board is totally unnecessary when it can be upgraded so easily.

Absolutely agree. It's just a din rail enclosure. Put new Sentry Main Switch, an MCB for bell tx and RCBO's for the final circuits and then it's still all MK. I would really argue that changing that board is totally unnecessary when it can be upgraded so easily.

Great idea .............. sounds like a plan to me ..... but is there enough height in there for MK RCBO's?

Reply to Recessed MK boards .... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net