Discuss Removing someone else's isolation in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

SJE392

-
Reaction score
Hi all,

After some help here. My boss at the company I work for is adamant that I must remove my electrical isolation, even though I don't deem the work to be safe or complete.

Long and short of it is, if I don't remove it myself, then someone else will.

Is this legal?

Many thanks

Would be good to hear the circumastances. If its a final circuit could you disconnect from the protective device and remove your isolation? If you are simply handing over to someone else could you witness their lockoff?

I think you need to give more context and information.
Fair enough.

I work for a utility company and there was an incident in which a digger ripped a cable out of a duct to a control room taking half the trunking and final circuits with it.

So being an authorised electrician I was sent to make safe and isolate the supply cable. Lock off etc etc.

In the mean time the company responsible for the damage has had their electrician make a temporary repair just to get by. But in my opinion it's unsafe and doesn't comply with 7671.

My company want to get power back on asap and are willing to accept the temporary repair as "good enough"

So my dilemma is I'm being asked to remove my isolation but in my opinion it's not in a good enough state to do so.

Thank you for the further info. What did the manner of this temporary repair entail. Temporary still means compliance for safety as you are obviously well aware.

Thank you for the further info. What did the manner of this temporary repair entail. Temporary still means compliance for safety as you are obviously well aware.
A cable joint and some lashed up distribution board. Cables hanging in free air that sort of thing.

I would like to know if it's illegal for someone to remove my padlock without my consent

What is coming to mind is section 5 of the Electricity at Work Regulations (free copy here The Electricity at Work Regulations 1989 - HSR25 - https://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/books/hsr25.htm )

Basically, the duty holder is supposed to ensure that nothing dangerous is put into use.
Obviously, re-energising something after a repair without it being tested does not help the duty-holders case.

You personally have a defence under section 29 that you took (more than) all reasonable precautions to stop this happening.

It sounds like they are going to do it anyway. I'd cover yourself by taking photos of the repair and also of your lockout in place. Then email this to the relevant people along with an explanation of the situation. Cover yourself.

Universal padlock key
https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/makita-ga4530r-720w-4-electric-angle-grinder-110v/2864k

A cable joint and some lashed up distribution board. Cables hanging in free air that sort of thing.

I would like to know if it's illegal for someone to remove my padlock without my consent
In my 'opinion'..... It's completely legal for someone to remove it as we have no authorisation in the eyes of the law to isolate anything. You have followed best practice and refer to non statutory guidance which we all work to. Should something happen a prosecution would be sought under the EAWR. If you have done everything you can to work to the regs then that's all you can do. I'd take lots and lots of photos if I were you.

what would it take to make the repair safe? Could you do it? Maybe suggest to the boss you could make good the repair and they could bill the persons who caused the damage?

In my 'opinion'..... It's completely legal for someone to remove it as we have no authorisation in the eyes of the law to isolate anything. You have followed best practice and refer to non statutory guidance which we all work to. Should something happen a prosecution would be sought under the EAWR. If you have done everything you can to work to the regs then that's all you can do. I'd take lots and lots of photos if I were you.
In a domestic situation I would agree with you but as this is a commercial / industrial job I would suggest that it would depend on the company policy and who is deemed to be the dutyholder in the situation and what is expected of them.
Unfortunately while prosecutions can and probably will be sought by the HSE under the EAWR this cannot resusitate a person who has died or restore a full quality of life to someone who has been seriously injured if a major incident occurs
The OP makes no reference to the qualification status of his boss or manager when he is the one making the request to the OP to remove the isolation
Seen it all to often where an incident occurs and the manager feeds the operative to the wolves despite them being resposible for the policy or specific request
There is clearly an issue here with the temporary repairs the details of which the OP has chosen not to detail for whatever reason, so the only covering backside solution here IMO is to sign the job over to whoever will accept the responsibility for the ongoing work, re-energisation and safety of the circuit(s) in question with I would also note that this is done under duress / pressure from --- and the reasons why you think the work should not be re-energised have two copies so each party can sign and each party has a copy so if the dung hits the fan you are clear

Reply to Removing someone else's isolation in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net