Search the forum,

Discuss smart street lighting? in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

amckay

This may sound like a strange way of going about things but here goes.
I live on a narrow private road cul de sac with a single row of terraced houses (no footpath) and has no streetlighting. We are all paying for an automatic gate at the top of the road so I thought why not add lighting on the street, only there is no space for street lamps so I propose led floodlights placed just under the gutter pipes strung along the row of houses. But to conserve energy we wish to have them controlled by pir. Is it possible to have any single pir (out of 13) to control ALL 13 led floodlights? I've thought about it but cant seem to find a way of doing it while making it look good.
Can anyone shed any light on the situation? Lol

LEDs take very little power, so wire them through a timeclock and a photocell. sod the pir. HAVE THEM ON DURING DARKNESS,

I thought about using a photo cell but majority of residents want pir. Master bedrooms are at front of the house so will allow the light it. I told em to change their curtains but they're not having it lol

Combination of Photocell and PIR would be my choice for an easy life.

If you want to get complex I would suggest a sangamo suntracker timeclock.....let me know if you ever figure it out though.. lol

You can more than half the running and installation costs by using 6 instead of 13 but even that will be too many.

The close I live on has recently been converted to LED on columns.

35 semi houses and bungalows all with attached garages .

There are only 4 columns and the whole road and both pavements are fully lit up.

The new columns are over Bedroom window height so don't shine directly in.

You can't have any pir on a fitting controlling them all as any LED floodlight I've installed or come across is pre-wired with a flex connected to it...

You would have to use non pir fittings and use stand alone pirs...

I thought about using a photo cell but majority of residents want pir. Master bedrooms are at front of the house so will allow the light it. I told em to change their curtains but they're not having it lol

Do you really need a light for each house? Could you use less fittings and position them so they light the properties up and don't allow too much light into the master beds? All simple things really and one photocell is better than 13 PIR's to set up and keep ontop of

The street lighting may be the least of your worries, i can see that automatic gate system is going to cause nothing but grief for you in the future!! lol!!

Intermittent lights switching on and off will be more disturbing than leaving them on... what about drive post lighting LED too .. also be weary of multiple unit through one PIR they are inductive loads and the combined inrush although they may be under the max wattage of the PIR can damage the contacts when opening.. best a suitable contactordriven of your PIR option if thats what everyone wants.

How many PIRs are you using

not sure on size of area your on about covering but can see problem with positioning of PIRs as if your coming out 1 house it might turn on but another house might not turn on, or if it's near gates it won't come on if your off out at night until you get to the gate.

if that makes sense

agree about constant lights on off will be more disturbing then just on also what about animals setting lights off

personally I'd use photocell

If you want to get complex I would suggest a sangamo suntracker timeclock.....let me know if you ever figure it out though.. lol

They’re not that bad to set up. The OP will need to take a mortgage out to buy one though.

The multiple PIR sounds fine but where’s the supply coming from and who’s paying the bill?
If all the lights and PIR’s are linked there can only be one point of supply.
Isolation is another problem as the circuit goes along all the houses.

Reply to smart street lighting? in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock