Discuss Treadmill in garage tripping RCD in house in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

TaffyBoy

Hi

I have just installed a running machine in my garage, the running machine is in excellent condition, I have lubricated the belt and there are no obvious damage to any of the flex.

The problem is that after around 5-10 minutes of use the treadmill will trip the power to the whole house. Can anyone offer any help or advice (in laymans terms).

Many thanks all.

I can confirm I am not a sparky, far from it.

No it's not a new machine but is only around 6 months old, and has only been used a handful of times.

it might be that you have cumulative leakage. 1 or more appliances have a few milliamps leakage and the tradmill has a small amount, which, when added together, trip the RCD. ther RCD itself might be tripping at too low a threshold. so many variables, you really need the right test equipment and the knowledge to use it. it's not likely to be a costly job. several members are in S. Wales.

It could be an unfit machine. Tires after 5-10 minutes of use and then trips the RCD so it can rest? :)
Otherwise what Tel' says

If the supply to the garage is on an RCD which it sounds like, you may even have a problem with the supply cable out to the garage. Get an electrician in, one that has the required test equipment and is competent at fault finding, who will get to the bottom of your problem for you...

Many thanks for that informative reply. Is there any way of wiring the treadmill in to it's own dedicated circuit,(if so, would this be expensive and disruptive) to allow for the leakage without other appliacnes impacting on it, or otherwise is there a way of possibly somehow bypassing the RCD just for the treadmill?

Many thanks for that informative reply. Is there any way of wiring the treadmill in to it's own dedicated circuit,(if so, would this be expensive and disruptive) to allow for the leakage without other appliacnes impacting on it, or otherwise is there a way of possibly somehow bypassing the RCD just for the treadmill?

You are making assumptions without facts!

Just saw those 2 replies. The supply to the garage idea sounds quite likely actually, I will have to check the wiring run on the weekend. Many thanks.

Doing a visual check is highly unlikely to uncover any faults, as others have said get a qualified electrician in with the correct test equipment in. By the sounds of things it shouldn't take too long to find the fault with all the proper equipment.

like asking a dentist to remove all your teeth because 1 is bad.

Hasn't anyone considered the treadmill will have a AC motor drive for speed control and the leakage is designed, if its designed for home use this should not be enough to trip the RCD but as already suggested if you already have leakage on other circuits its probable the accumulative leakage causing the tripping.

I will physically check the wiring run for any breakdown in the insulation sheathing or any water ingress. Thanks for the replies guys. All very helpful.

let us know if you find anything. you could try unplugging everything in the house , then try the treadmill. if it doesn't trip then , it's probably cumulative.

I will physically check the wiring run for any breakdown in the insulation sheathing or any water ingress. Thanks for the replies guys. All very helpful.

Unlikely you will see anything visual relating to the mA leakage levels were talking about!! That's why electricians carry sensitive testing equipement.

For a start i can tell you now, that your garage supply installation has not been installed particually well, if a fault in the garage takes out the complete house!! lol!!

Reply to Treadmill in garage tripping RCD in house in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net