Discuss Voltage still detected after rcd had tripped? why could this be... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Quick few games to show voltsticks pick up stray and non dangerous currents.... place voltstick near tv screen... rub voltsick on your jumper, all will lite the voltstick, but non are dangerous.
I disagree. My friend went into a pub in Liverpool,with a MCFC jumper on....and it ended badly:grin:

I would sack any electrician that relied on a voltstick.! Too right, they should not be relied upon.

I gathered them all up at work and threw them in a kiln. Use recognised test methods.A little ott imo, unless of course they were being relied upon and then in which case dismiss the offenders and then bin the sticks.

I think voltsticks are great! .. Wave it over something and it gives you an 'indication' of whether something is live without dismantling the switch/socket etc. If you want to touch that part or need a definite answer then you test properly with your MFT.

I think voltsticks are great! .. Wave it over something and it gives you an 'indication' of whether something is live
I got one given by a rep in a wholesalers a while back. I waved it over a damp piece of wood in the rear storage yard of a pub I was working on. It indicated it was live.
I threw it away.

You need to use the proper test equipment voltsticks have their uses but NOT to prove dead or live
actually they can save your life
recently I was asked to remove some flourescent fittings in an attic, the property had a partial rewire, new CU bonding earth electrode and a lighting circuit with CPC fitted by an aprroved electrican
(I did not want to do the work due to the distance involved)
I do the small domestic jobs for the client, so I said no probs
all the lights were off at the switch
I pop the tube out of the first one, lift the cover, and stick my test leads across R1 RN nada
but I just waved the volt stick in the area and bugger me it light up!!!
reason
the chappy doing the upgrade had not bothered to check the circuit as it was to difficult to get to ( fat lazy lump)
no CPC at all
No Neutral at all
permanent live
I ended up shutting the CU down and tracing the wiring back to a rose and it was a mess
just a looksee would have shown that up,
so the voltstick saved me bacon
ps the muppet concerned also failed to note on his report 1 burnt out and cracked socket outlet and one fractured one ? ( I took pictures for when I see him)
specsavers are fairly cheap these days???
I might be old
I might have trouble understanding modern high tech test gear
but I always like to have 2 different methods of testing

actually they can save your life
recently I was asked to remove some flourescent fittings in an attic, the property had a partial rewire, new CU bonding earth electrode and a lighting circuit with CPC fitted by an aprroved electrican
(I did not want to do the work due to the distance involved)
I do the small domestic jobs for the client, so I said no probs
all the lights were off at the switch
I pop the tube out of the first one, lift the cover, and stick my test leads across R1 RN nada
but I just waved the volt stick in the area and bugger me it light up!!!
reason
the chappy doing the upgrade had not bothered to check the circuit as it was to difficult to get to ( fat lazy lump)
no CPC at all
No Neutral at all
permanent live
I ended up shutting the CU down and tracing the wiring back to a rose and it was a mess
just a looksee would have shown that up,
so the voltstick saved me bacon
ps the muppet concerned also failed to note on his report 1 burnt out and cracked socket outlet and one fractured one ? ( I took pictures for when I see him)
specsavers are fairly cheap these days???
I might be old
I might have trouble understanding modern high tech test gear
but I always like to have 2 different methods of testing

Out of interest what AVI do you use? My fluke t150 would of indicated the live wire by just putting the 1 probe on to it.

stantheman the electricians were employed and had a list of approved test instruments to choose from that the company would provide. The list at one time included a volt stick.

The volt sticks were taken off the list following an incident. I collected them in and threw them in a kiln. They were company property so why would it be OTT to confiscate and destroy them?

Normally if something was taken off the approved list and you had that type of meter you could take it home with you. Not so the voltsticks.

They are bloody dangerous.

Volt sticks should only be used by qualified electricians with a knowledge of electrical theory.
Previous comments by 'qualified electricians' who condemn there use are wrong.
As an aid for fast fault finding they are invaluable, ask Megger who make them.
They must not to be used for proof of safe isolation.

Reply to Voltage still detected after rcd had tripped? why could this be... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net