Discuss Wagos on Final Ring Circuits in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

there are perfectly good terminals on the socket..
Are they? Look again!

Using the terminals on the rear of the socket and using non-flexible 2.5mm cable, often means a poor connection. The amount of times I have taken out a socket to find the two 2.5mm cables have moved near out of the connection, or dropped out, is quite a lot. Wagos make a vastly superior connection than shoving two cables into one terminal that could loosen over time or be party dislodged when pushing in the socket using non-flexible cable.

Having Wagos secure the integrity of a ring is a great approach - superb in testing for the 1st fix. Then having flex from the superb connections Wagos give to the socket, with only only one wire connection at the socket, with no chance of the wire being dislodged in the socket connection as flexible wires are used, improves continuity and safety by a considerable measure. Ramming two 2.5mm cables into a socket terminal using non-flexible cable is a real dumb idea.

A win, win, all around. Safer! And quicker.

Last edited:
They do. Look at them. I gave a photo of the bus bar inside them.

You could say that about some other multi way connectors too, it is not specific to Wagos. It does not make them bus bars, or make them suitable to get around the multiple spurs from a single point on an RFC rule.

You seem insistant on finding a way around this regulation.

Are they? Look again!

Using the terminals on the rear of the socket and using non-flexible 2.5mm cable, often means a poor connection. The amount of times I have taken out a socket to find the two 2.5mm cables have moved near out of the connection, or dropped out, is quite a lot. Wagos make a vastly superior connection than shoving two cables into one terminal that could loosen over time or be party dislodged when pushing in the socket using non-flexible cable.

Having Wagos secure the integrity of a ring is a great approach - superb in testing for the 1st fix. Then having flex from the superb connections Wagos give to the socket, with only only one wire connection at the socket, with no chance of the wire being dislodged in the socket connection as flexible wires are used, improves continuity and safety by a considerable measure. Ramming two 2.5mm cables into a socket terminal using non-flexible cable is a real dumb idea.

A win, win, all around. Safer! And quicker.
been connecting socket outlets for years 1, 2 0r 3 if care is taken it will be OK.

Exactly. A fault condition. A 1A fuse would have blown before a fire situation occurred.
I think it would be an excellent experiment if you could replicate this fault condition on a lamp switch with a 1A plug fuse and a 10A or 13A plug fuse.
Record videos of the two experiments and upload them. I’m am very curious to see the results.

Exactly. A fault condition. A 1A fuse would have blown before a fire situation occurred.
The fuse would only rupture if line/neutral or line/earth create a short, this may or not happen and by the time it got to this stage the operation of the fuse may be irrelevant.

A loose connection causes localised heating, but does not cause the current to increase. An AFDD type device would be more likely to break the fault.

Ramming two 2.5mm cables into a socket terminal using non-flexible cable is a real dumb idea.
John-SJW earlier in this thread in the heat of the moment I made an un-thought-through comment about even current around the ring and was happy to be put right, so you'd be well advised to learn from my experience and pause two marching paces to give thinking time before deciding what is worth saying out loud.
You must surely be curious as to why so many don't agree with your theories and methods.
It was indeed fun at times but it's time for me to terminate my input to this thread. I wish you well.
Over and out.

You must surely be curious as to why so many don't agree with your theories and methods.
I am not curious or surprised. Tradesmen are stuck in this we have always done it this way mentality. A resistance to change. Comfofortable with familiar way and products. I have come across this all my life.

Last edited:
Please. ?
The plastic table lamp stand was melting about to burst into flames. A 1A fuse would have stopped it I am sure.

You still misunderstand overload current and the reason why a fuse ruptures.

And as for being stuck in the past - hardly! People on here are regularly discussing smart lighting, EV chargers, heat pumps, and lots of modern stuff. And I'm sure pretty much everyone uses Wago connectors (albeit as they are designed to be used).

@John-SJW I'm enjoying the thread, and healthy discussion is good.
Personally I have no issue with change but my stance on it is..
Socket outlets terminals are designed to take multiple conductors, the terminals are fixed and they have gone through a testing process to comply with BS1363

Wago terminals are tested to mutple BSEN standards too, which cover connectors and more specifically spring type cage connectors. They are not busbars, and they are not tested, or covered in BS 5486-1:1977 or IEC 60439:1973

We are taught as electricians to work to BS7671, if we work to BS7671 we will comply with ESR, thats it!

Your method will probably never cause an issue, but if your using wagos in appliance grids (like you mentioned earlier on), and something did happen then you are going to have a hard time explaining yourself.

Reply to Wagos on Final Ring Circuits in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net