Discuss Wiring up an induction hob - wanted to sense check if what I'm doing is correct in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Cupa

-
DIY
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have a new induction hob which I'd like to wire in. I have already wired in the oven and grill into the kitchen using a length of 4mm 3 core heat resistant flex and that is working fine.

Back of the hob shows the following diagram:

Wiring up an induction hob - wanted to sense check if what I'm doing is correct {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

Based on the above schematic, I plan to wire in as follows:

Wiring up an induction hob - wanted to sense check if what I'm doing is correct {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

On the assumption my connections in the image above are ok, next question is do I strip the wires free of these connectors which came with the hob?!

...and wire them in like this, by wrapping each core around the screw and then screwing tight (this is a pic of the way I installed the oven and grill with the 4mm heat proof flex cable)

Thanks in advance!

Oh and I forgot to add - the hob, like the oven and grill, have their own respective supply back to the fuse board, each on a 32a breaker. The oven and grill is rated at 5.9kW, the induction hob is a bit more at 7.4kW.

Hi - the flex they've supplied has crimped on ferrules which are helpful. Don't cut them off :) . Where will you be connecting it? Pic?

They've made your life easy by stripping the flex and crimping ferrules on the end. They should be used.

However, if the connection box hasn't got enough room for the cable, then that's bad design by the oven manufacturer

Hi - the flex they've supplied has crimped on ferrules which are helpful. Don't cut them off :) . Where will you be connecting it? Pic?

Morning Wilko, I'll be connecting it to the cooker plate, which was fitted about a year ago by a qualified sparkie. I believe it is 45a.

They've made your life easy by stripping the flex and crimping ferrules on the end. They should be used.

Ok, I'll have a fiddle and see how they can be secured correctly.

Why the two different termination (pics)?

Sorry for the confusion - the cable that came with the induction hob, is 5 core and has ferrules already on each end.

The oven, which I already installed, didn't come with any cable at all, so I looked at the specs and went and bought 4mm 3 core heatproof flex, which I secured as in that pic above by stripping each core and wrapping it around each bolt before fastening it up and checking it was secure by giving it a good yank.

I was using that as an example of fitting - if I can't use the 5 core with ferrules on the induction hob, I was asking if I can strip them off and attach them in the manner as when I installed the oven.

Keep the ferrules and connect all the conductors through to the cooker connection unit :) .

Keep the ferrules and connect all the conductors through to the cooker connection unit :) .

Fine I'll resist the urge to lop them off. :D

Did I read the schematic correctly in terms of hooking it up (my photos in the initial post)???

R u wiring them in as single phase or 3phase?

Edit: sorry 2 phase?

on single phase you don't require the black and grey. blue to 4, brown to 3. link 2-3.

on single phase you don't require the black and grey. blue to 4, brown to 3. link 2-3.

With this being a domestic single phase / 230V installation, you're suggesting I just wire in the live, neutral and earth to the hob and the same at the cooker outlet plate end and just forget about the other cables / not wire them in anywhere?

I'm a bit confused because the hob is rated at 7.4kW. I am surprised such a piddly small / thin cable is capable of running the hob at its theoretical full output. This is the cable that was supplied by Bosch and it is a lot thinner than the 4mm heat proof flex 3 core I used to install the oven and grill combo with.

I'd tend to follow the manufacturers instructions if using their supplied final connection lead. Do you have a model number and or instruction manual we can peruse?

So using the supplied 5 core flex to the cooker plate connect

2 - brown & 3 - black to the live
4 - grey & 5 - blue to the neutral
and green/yellow to earth

Hi - not to disagree, but I think the supplied lead may not have ccc if all conductors are not used as per the wiring diagram.
so they've supplied a cable meant for 2 phase to a customer with a single phase supply?????

No, he needs the grey and black as per the diagram, the brown and blu encores aren't of sufficient CSA for the current, that's why the diagram is shown with the grey/ blue and brown/black paired at the connection plate, not just linked out on the hob terminals.

so to pre-empt Brexit..... ditch the foreign 5 core and fit some goof old British 7/036 3 core in red/black.

edit. good,not goof.

No, he needs the grey and black as per the diagram, the brown and blu encores aren't of sufficient CSA for the current, that's why the diagram is shown with the grey/ blue and brown/black paired at the connection plate, not just linked out on the hob terminals.

Yep,neutral is actually linked at both ends,in diagram.

Morning folks!

The hob is a Bosch PIE631FB1E, 7.4kW. I couldn't find a useful manual aside from how to use the thing.
Wiring up an induction hob - wanted to sense check if what I'm doing is correct Bosch Induction Hob Specs - EletriciansForums.net

So, I rang Bosch tech support who said the 5 core is the
correct cable to use in the UK
and that I should hook the lot up as per schematic N1, as shown on the back of the hob.
Wiring up an induction hob - wanted to sense check if what I'm doing is correct 1 - EletriciansForums.net Things I'd like to know the answer to if anyone knows:

(a) #1 remains unused for some reason

(b) #4 + #5 are linked if you look carefully whereas #2 + #3 are not?!

Wiring up an induction hob - wanted to sense check if what I'm doing is correct 2 - EletriciansForums.net

(c) appliance has a sticker rating of 7.4kW, the cable is much thinner than the 4mm 3 core heatproof flex I hooked the oven and grill up with. Is this due to the diversity factor?

Thank you for the ongoing help guys, appreciate it.

Reply to Wiring up an induction hob - wanted to sense check if what I'm doing is correct in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock