Discuss 16A Fused Connection Unit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Should be all right on a commercial job , domestic though its another thing unless it was on the back wall in a cupboard ,Often thought about it , because a couple of new build estates I have come across have garage supplies spurred of rings in SWA , Tight builders to blame usually , 16AMCB with double pole switch , would do it

Hi,

General question here... does anyone know of any particular reason that there's no such thing as a 16A FCU.

Reminds me of where I work got a design to install sockets which where supplied via a 16A FCU asked why he replied thats what I want so I asked who made them as they only came in 13A.

What made this really funny is that this bloke always introduced himself as Hello my name is F*** A***** Fellow of the IET

Caravan, a welder and various other items.

its not just commercial / industrial that have commando sockets.

But none of those need more than 13A.... the connection method is irrelevant. If you need a 16A outlet then you install a 16A outlet - FSU not required.

Besides, I've always gone by the thought that if MK don't make it then it doesn't exist..... and they don't.

My compressor needs a 16a socket, my mates welder usess a 16A socket, oh and you could plug a caravan in without the need for an adaptor.

Just because they've come fitted with 16A ceeforms, doesn't necessarily mean that they actually draw 16A's, does it?

My compressor at home draws way over 13amp on start up especially when it's a cold start up.
Works fine on a 13amp plug.
We won't mention the fuse, apart from it does have one.

I think i've mentioned this before, in that 15A BS 1362 fuses have been available in many countries, (and for many years) that i've worked in. Now whether they are available, or officially recognised in the UK, is another matter. ....Still not quite 16A though...lol!!

Think some often forget, that the fuse in BS 1362 accessories is only there to protect the wiring/cords connected to the accessory, not the actual equipment itself!!...

So...if I were to find and place a BS1362 15A fuse into a standard 1362 plugtop, what would be my legal position in terms of BS7671<>EAWR ?? 411.4.5 / 6 suggest it's absolutely fine, but I think you might struggle to prove the point?!

If the appliance you are connecting (welder, whatever) draws anything like 16A then this is not something you should be connecting to a domestic RFC anyway -

16A Radial = no odd fuse sizes = all good.

So...if I were to find and place a BS1362 15A fuse into a standard 1362 plugtop, what would be my legal position in terms of BS7671<>EAWR ?? 411.4.5 / 6 suggest it's absolutely fine, but I think you might struggle to prove the point?!

Sorry you've lost me, ...what point are you talking about here??

If the appliance you are connecting (welder, whatever) draws anything like 16A then this is not something you should be connecting to a domestic RFC anyway -

16A Radial = no odd fuse sizes = all good.

Which is what I said in post #28

Reply to 16A Fused Connection Unit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net