Discuss 3rd Year apprentice. Am i getting the going rate? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

G

Godderz23

Hey everyone, was just wondering what the going hourly rate is for a 3rd year?

I understand that apprenticeships dont pay all that well until you qualify but im doing alot of things on my own now, am insured on the van and along with our other apprentice (a 2nd year) tend to work just the two of us some days. Can comfortably rewire a standard house and understand the idea's of taking feeds here and there and ways to make our jobs look neat and tidy.

24 years old, get provided transport, hard working, devon.

Any idea's of an appropriate hourly rate?

JIB puts it at around £9 an hour, am paid £6.80 before tax.

Fair?

Thanks, Chris.

No the jib rates are bout 10.50 for a third year site rate. The firms takin the **** out you. Payin u peanuts while u make them money

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with GStueyXR - you could get greedy and demand more, but remember there are probably 20 guys waiting to take your place, maybe even do it for less.

i was payed £7.00 a hour 3rd year and jumped upto £9.50 4th year the company i worked for had about 2000 people on the books and around 200 apprentices this was only 12-14months ago, i went to college with people that are alot more handy than me and got paid not far off half that. IVe never met one or heard of many jib apprentices

novus sparkus has a very good point!

My 18 year old son is a 3rd year stage 3 apprentice and gets £10.05 per hour JIB rates.

Well I could link the OP to several post with lads offering to work for free to gain their NVQ and experience.

TBH, and I dont mean to cause offence, but in todays climate, the OP is offensive to so many lads on so many levels.

Well I could link the OP to several post with lads offering to work for free to gain their NVQ and experience.

TBH, and I dont mean to cause offence, but in todays climate, the OP is offensive to so many lads on so many levels.

Couldn't disagree with you more!! I'm a person looking to get my NVQ but i wouldn't want an opportunity at the expense of some poor lad get ripped off. If he's working hard, which sounds like he is, then he should get what he deserves and not just have the lame, defeatest attitude that he should just be grateful to have a job. Unscruplous employers are now preying on this!

I understand that apprenticeships dont pay all that well until you qualify but im doing alot of things on my own now, am insured on the van and along with our other apprentice (a 2nd year) tend to work just the two of us some days. Can comfortably rewire a standard house and understand the idea's of taking feeds here and there and ways to make our jobs look neat and tidy.

24 years old, get provided transport, hard working, devon.

Fair?

Thanks, Chris.

Whilst you say the JIB rate is £9 an hour is the company you work for a JIB company, if not they don't have to pay you the JIB rate.

Depends on whether the company is JIB affiliated, as said above. In my 3rd year, i was on JIB rates. However I do think the company is paying rather low, but your job is much more important in my view. The industry is slow where i am ( Finished my NVQ + AM2 febuary this year ) I cant find no work whatsoever!

Fair?

Thanks, Chris.

Fair is a subjective question - there's a number of things to look at before anyone can say it is fair or not, to be honest.

You've also, IMO, got to look at what you get out of it, other than purely financial. Skills and qualifications, for one, I would imagine.

Bide your time, is the advice that was given to me as an apprentice earning around £35 a week, watching some of the guys at college roll up in company vans, shouting about their £80 a week pay packets.

Thing is, a lot of them went from an £80 quid a week apprenticeship, to a £25 a week dole queue. Some of them just didn't pass, and others felt they should qualify and suddenly be earning hundreds a week.

What I'm trying to illustrate, like others have said, is that there's a time and place - get your qualification, and THEN have a chat with your boss. At least that way, if he's not willing to pay, or can't, you have a qualification that is bankable to another firm.

Jump now, or get pushed......who's going to want to take on a third year who's not quite qualified, pay for the rest of his college, and so on, when they can quite easily employ a qualified lad from the dole queue at the same, or similar rates?

Seems to me, if you do this wrong, you've just handed yourself a life as an electrician's mate, if you're lucky.

I don't mean this to sound harsh - I mean it to be well meant advice.

In simple terms, to employ you, and pay you £6.80 an hour, or £14k a year, your employer is probably paying another 25% on top in taxes, insurances, training costs and so on. It ain't free to employ someone.

I don't know how well you get on with your boss, all that said - it might be that you can sit down with him and ask the question of him yourself - I guess not, as you're on here asking - but if you can, do, in a gentle, enquiring way - not as a demand! If not, then the advice I was given seems best - bide your time, get your ticket, then look around.

Fair is a subjective question - there's a number of things to look at before anyone can say it is fair or not, to be honest.

You've also, IMO, got to look at what you get out of it, other than purely financial. Skills and qualifications, for one, I would imagine.

Bide your time, is the advice that was given to me as an apprentice earning around £35 a week, watching some of the guys at college roll up in company vans, shouting about their £80 a week pay packets.

Thing is, a lot of them went from an £80 quid a week apprenticeship, to a £25 a week dole queue. Some of them just didn't pass, and others felt they should qualify and suddenly be earning hundreds a week.

What I'm trying to illustrate, like others have said, is that there's a time and place - get your qualification, and THEN have a chat with your boss. At least that way, if he's not willing to pay, or can't, you have a qualification that is bankable to another firm.

Jump now, or get pushed......who's going to want to take on a third year who's not quite qualified, pay for the rest of his college, and so on, when they can quite easily employ a qualified lad from the dole queue at the same, or similar rates?

Seems to me, if you do this wrong, you've just handed yourself a life as an electrician's mate, if you're lucky.

I don't mean this to sound harsh - I mean it to be well meant advice.

In simple terms, to employ you, and pay you £6.80 an hour, or £14k a year, your employer is probably paying another 25% on top in taxes, insurances, training costs and so on. It ain't free to employ someone.

I don't know how well you get on with your boss, all that said - it might be that you can sit down with him and ask the question of him yourself - I guess not, as you're on here asking - but if you can, do, in a gentle, enquiring way - not as a demand! If not, then the advice I was given seems best - bide your time, get your ticket, then look around.

Thanks for all the advice gents. I do see both sides of this story/discussion.

Im not demanding more money, and do feel lucky to have a job that in the future will pay well and that i enjoy, but feel now i do want a little bit more money, not loads, having spoken to a couple people from college (started same time as i did) they are on about £7-£8 per hour. Which i would be more than happy with.

Our company is not JIB affiliated but was just using that as i rough guide.

I work for a small company 4 of us in total, me and 2nd year apprentice and 2 bosses (buisness partners) one of which is my dad! I spoke to him earlier and in fact im getting minimum wage, so not £6.40 but £5.93 an hour!

Going to get some more hourly rates from a few people from college and speak to him later in the week.

Thanks for all the advice gents. I do see both sides of this story/discussion.

Im not demanding more money, and do feel lucky to have a job that in the future will pay well and that i enjoy, but feel now i do want a little bit more money, not loads, having spoken to a couple people from college (started same time as i did) they are on about £7-£8 per hour. Which i would be more than happy with.

I work for a small company 4 of us in total, me and 2nd year apprentice and 2 bosses (buisness partners) one of which is my dad! I spoke to him earlier and in fact im getting minimum wage, so not £6.40 but £5.93 an hour!

Going to get some more hourly rates from a few people from college and speak to him later in the week.

No, the insinuation wasn't that you were demanding, just that it is rarely a successful tactic in negotiation. A pointer, was all.

Certainly, you should be getting more than min. wage, I'd have thought, but I could also make the argument about how much your dad provides for you over and above the wage....... :)

Try meeting him with a compromise somewhere, and explain the reasons you want more - and point out how much more you're doing now than when your wage was set. A good way to "put him on the spot" or to find out how things are would be to ask him if the company is happy with the work you do and the standard you do it to.

If he says yes, then you've got an excellent opening for asking for some more on the basis that you're earning the company more now.

When i was an apprentice everyday i was biting my tongue working long hours for no extra pay & call outs on weekends!.

As people say get qualified then weigh up your options.Most bosses now can get apprentices for nowt , have the training scheme provider pay their wages and they get a grant to take them on. So dont believe everything they say " you cost me a fortune" yeeerrrr rrriittee oooh!

TBH I find it offensive that you are saying Apprentices should basicaly be gratfull to have work if they are employed then they deserve the going rate ( probably around 75% of JIB relisticaly ) as for these boys offering services for free many having come from college courses and not having experience onsite CSCS ect ect unlike the OP many of the "Free labour" brigade couldnt wire a plug unsupervised

TBH I find it offensive that you are saying Apprentices should basicaly be gratfull to have work if they are employed then they deserve the going rate ( probably around 75% of JIB relisticaly ) as for these boys offering services for free many having come from college courses and not having experience onsite CSCS ect ect unlike the OP many of the "Free labour" brigade couldnt wire a plug unsupervised

Woah, big boy.

I don't think GStuey was making an unqualified, Fagan like comment.

What he was getting at was reality.

And the reality, certainly down here, is that JIB grading or not, guys are wondering round companies, offering themselves for free, or less than the going rate, just to get a foot in the door.

Lots of companies will take that offer, just to have a chance of improving already seriously battered margins. And if the "free" labour they pick up can't wire a plug unsupervised, there's always the next one in line. That's how it is at the moment. Irrespective of qualifications, JIB, or any of it.

I agree with you - in an ideal world, they DO deserve the going rate, and more - but this ain't an ideal world. It's a commercial one.

Stuey's comment was more aimed at the fact that it is HARD for these lads to get work, and this economic climate isn't the time to be shouting from the rooftops that you want more. There's too many other lads willing to do it for the rate on offer, and it is an easy commercial decision to out the guy wanting more for one who doesn't.

So, in that sense, grateful that he has work, where so many others don't. Why's that offensive?

To be honest guys this is not a sign of the times but something that as been going on in our trade for years. It was the same for me 30 odd years ago as a 3rd yr apprentice you were expected to work on instructions, a woe betide if you got it wrong as it was back to sweeping up and going to the wholesalers.

It's all part of a learning curve and I reckon even in good times most apprentices were not paid what they think they are worth, is any of us.

When i was an apprentice everyday i was biting my tongue working long hours for no extra pay & call outs on weekends!.

As people say get qualified then weigh up your options.Most bosses now can get apprentices for nowt , have the training scheme provider pay their wages and they get a grant to take them on. So dont believe everything they say " you cost me a fortune" yeeerrrr rrriittee oooh!

Not quite true, I contacted Business Link and asked if I take on an apprentice as I am self employed how much would I geot towards training etc....They would give me £35 per week but I still BY LAW had to pay the apprentice at least £95.
I know at least five 18 year olds at my local college who cant get enrolled on an Electrical Advanced Apprenticeship simply because although theyre working in the industry full time, because they are unpaid volunteers they cannot be official apprentices, Kinda makes me sick especially when I know some guys who have been unemployed for years and dont want a job but happy to scrounge all the handouts from the goverment when it comes to training( fully funded college courses etc....)!!
The kids at college are solely enrolled on the C&G 2330 Level 3 only and not the NVQ 3 Course.
These unscruptulous companies named & shamed in my opinion, Just taking the mickey out of young guys desperate to learn the trade.

Reply to 3rd Year apprentice. Am i getting the going rate? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net