Discuss AMPAGE TESTING (12 Volt DC) in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

now i know what current my windows require, i shall sleep better at nights. however in the morning, i'll still have to use the window winder handle as they're not electric. now i'm just off to the "manual van window forum"

What was the point in that post? Most multi meters only test to 10amps so for anything more they're useless. All you need is an amp clamp multi meter, good for 600amps, or an inductive ammeter they cost pence. But in this technological world you can buy a digital ammeter with fuse adapter on the end for five quid. A lot easy than than mess in the pictures! Stick to stealing car stereos!

What was the point in that post? Most multi meters only test to 10amps so for anything more they're useless. All you need is an amp clamp multi meter, good for 600amps, or an inductive ammeter they cost pence. But in this technological world you can buy a digital ammeter with fuse adapter on the end for five quid. A lot easy than than mess in the pictures! Stick to stealing car stereos!

Mate, In the 12V dc car/house world nearly every part/motor with the exception of a car starter motor, is less then 10A, the only other common exceptions being high output car sound amplifiers, perhaps some air conditioning units, so a 10A MultiMeter £10 or 20A MultiMeter £30 is more then adequate.

Clamp MultiMeters and PAT testers are useless junk, they are a joke, they're expensive mickey mouse nonsense(Metal conducts, but NOT wirelessly!)

And the other meters, are a waste of time & money (Make a circuit, wait an hour, or average out 10 mins over an hour). I guess your making reference to finding out the ampage of a starter motor, goto Halfords (Or your main dealer) and ask them the part (starter motor) specification, it sayes on the side of the box.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mate, In the 12V dc car/house world nearly every part/motor with the exception of a car starter motor, is less then 10A, the only other common exceptions being high output car sound amplifiers, perhaps some air conditioning units, so a 10A MultiMeter £10 or 20A MultiMeter £30 is more then adequate.

Clamp MultiMeters and PAT testers are useless junk, they are a joke, they're expensive mickey mouse nonsense(Metal conducts, but NOT wirelessly!)

And the other meters, are a waste of time & money (Make a circuit, wait an hour, or average out 10 mins over an hour). I guess your making reference to finding out the ampage of a starter motor, goto Halfords (Or your main dealer) and ask them the part (starter motor) specification, it sayes on the side of the box.

interesting thread srands,it inspired me to have a bit of a tinker with my own car,tho i think ive bit off more than i can chew...look forward to your help..:uhoh2:

full car in bits pic.jpg

Remember a fuse is only a fuse (Cheap & easy to replace), how if you don’t fuse a lead, and resistance and/or maximum is exceeded, then wiring looms and/or motors/parts and expensive & hard to replace

Why would you want to fuse the negative as well as the positive
A circuit will be disrupted with a fuse in the positive only,adding another fuse in the negative has no benefit,its a waste of time and effort

Some starter motors can draw current upwards to 200 amp and will operate directly from the battery via the solenoid,
If you double fuse everything ,does that "everything" include your starter motor

Using thick cables to overengineer for heavy future loads
Relays and solenoids negate the need to switch the bulk of these loads,localised larger cable is the time tested best method

To comment further on calculating AMPAGE drawn, there was discussion that electric motors are all mostly low ampage (Below 10Ah), with the exception about knowing the ampage of a car's greatest electrical consumption part, a STARTER MOTOR, well goto Starter Motor | Quality Starter Motors for any car (Or your main dealer) and ask them for the parts (starter motor) specification, it sayes on the side of the box, or motor.
Note: If starter motor specification is in KW:
KW / 1000 = Watt's
Watt's / 12 V = A. This figure is an instant, as the starter motor drain is for a second (NOT continuously), then the ignition key is released (Starter motor turned OFF) as the engine is started, then the alternator produces current, recharging the battery, obviously there will be small current drains in Ah from small motors/parts, for example, electric windows, indicators, car cd/mp4/dvd player, lights, fan/air con, etc.

FURTHER DETAIL:

BATTERY & STARTER MOTOR EXAMPLE:
CAR BATTERY: 56 Ah (* 10 = 560 A [EN])
STARTER MOTOR 1.7 KW (/1000 = 1700 WATTs / 12 VOLTs = 142 A [EN])

Obviously the car manufacturer deems what is an appropriate battery Ah for their manufactured car model.

An Amp-Hour (ampere-hour, Ah) is a way of describing a battery's capacity - how long it will run before it is drained down. To be more specific: the amp-hour rating for a given battery is the maximum amperage that can be drawn continuously until the battery is completely flat, over a specific time period.

AH stands for amp hours
10 amp hours =
~ DrAW 10 amps for 1 hour
or
~ Draw 1 amp for 10 hours
Or
~ Draw 11 amps for 54 minutes (0.9 hours)
The faster you draw amps out of your battery the fewer amp hours you get in total, and the shorter the life of the battery.

Ampere-hour - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Starter Motor | Quality Starter Motors for any car

Thanks for link to Ampere-hours, you learn something everyday!
Could you please explain to me kWh, I'm just completely baffled by them?
Thanks in advance
A

Thanks for link to Ampere-hours, you learn something everyday!
Could you please explain to me kWh, I'm just completely baffled by them?
Thanks in advance
A

This needs explaining from both 12 Volt DC and 240 AC Volt perspective:

12 Volt dc, we're NOT concerned about the cost of electric, because a car alternator generates this for free (Well apart from fuel & wear & tear of car & driver!) as is a by product of engine running (One cog turns, a belt to the alternator, another cog turns, electric produced, power lead to battery, charging battery). Hence the only real preoccupation here is what is the AMPAGE of the PART (If unknown use MultiMeter to determine, see 1st msg in this post)? Once this is known, then specifying the correct THICKNESS LEAD/CABLE and FUSE is one of the only fitment considerations

Calcs (W = Watts, V = Voltage, A = Amps):

1000 W's = 1 KW (In other words W * 1000 = KW)

A x V = W (Eg 0.8A * 12v = 10Ws)

W / V = A (Eg 10Ws / 12v = 0.8A)

Ah x 10 = A (EN) (Eg 56 Ah * 10 = 560 A [EN])

DC 12 Volt Cable Guide
Individual insulated wire thickness in mm with approx max
AMPs
WATTs
2.7mm
3A
36w
3.0mm
10A
120w
3.8mm
20A
240w
5.0mm
35A
420w
6.2mm
50A
600w
1.2CM
AWG8 / 40A
480w
1.6CM
AWG4 / 70A
840w

Note: To power an AC 240 Volt appliance in a car, you need an INVERTER (I'd recommend a very generous maximum margin to power your SMALL appliance, such as I have fitted 1000W Inverter for a 100W LAPTOP!). WHY? Because your laptop voltage is different to your car battery, for example: Car batteries = 12V. My Laptop power = 20V with psu (Power Supply Unit AC to DC). And bigger is always better, as may use USB powered extras (Hard drive, cameras, etc), or may get larger spec laptop.

240 Volt ac, we ARE concerned about the cost of electric, because ELEC is charged by the KW.
Small Appliances are stated in WATTs (This figure is the approx figure IF an appliance is used for AN HOUR, even though the reading on ENERGY MONITORS is instantly displayed. For example a kettle may only be used for 3 mins, and it's max maybe 2200 Watt's, however it's consumption is NOT 2200 Watt's unless it is used continuously for an hour!).
Large Appliances over 1000 Watt's are stated in KiloWatts such as KETTLES, DISH WASHERS, WASHING MACHINES, etc.
ELECTRIC used in houses/businesses is measured with an ELECTRIC METER, and in KWs.
Once again specifying the correct THICKNESS LEAD/CABLE and FUSE is an important fitment consideration. Since appliances already come with a LEAD, the same thickness or bigger is adequate. The FUSE must be greater then the Ampage max of the appliance and the cable lead must be thicker Ampage then the fuse Ampage.
However if fitting new SOCKET RING/RADIAL circuit need to be fitted, consideration has to be given the total max in amps of all applainces using that circuit, hence use appropriate socket wire cable, sockets/fixtures, etc.

AC 240V (Appliance Wire) Cable Guide
Individual insulated wire thickness in mm with approx max
AMPs
WATTs
0.2mm
1A
240w
0.5mm
3A
720w
0.75mmm
6A
1440w
1.00mm
10A
2400w
1.25mm
13A
3120w
1.5mm
15A
3600w
2.5mm
20A
4500w
4.00mm
30A
7200w

AC 240 Volts (Socket/W) Cable Guide
Individual insulated skt wire thickness in mm with approx max
AMPs
WATTs
1mm
15A
3600w
1.5mm
20A
4800w
2.5mm
27A
6480w
4mm
36A
8640w
6mm
46A
11040w
10mm
63A
15120w
16mm
85A
20400w

Want a FUSEBOX CIRCUIT and MCB/RCD calculator? See my spreadsheet MCB/RCD CALC See the 3rd tab (If MCB's are different ampages) or 4rd tab (If MCB's are same ampage)

Calcs (W = Watts, V = Voltage, A = Amps):

1000 W's = 1 KW (In other words W * 1000 = KW)

A x V = W (Eg 5A * 240v = 1200Ws)

W / V = A (Eg 1200Ws / 240v = 5A)

Note: To power a DC 12 Volt appliance in a house, you need either an adequate:
~ AC to DC plug: Maplin stores, Mobile phone stores, or stalls in retail shopping centres)
or
~ AC to DC psu (power supply unit): Maplin stores
or
~ CAR BATTERY

Still need more ELEC/utility calculators?
See my very comprehensive workbook spreadsheet (See 1st tab, scroll down) ELEC GAS WATER autocalc: 1st tab, scroll down

Reply to AMPAGE TESTING (12 Volt DC) in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net