Discuss another job has come my way, my need little encouagment to say yeah il do it.. in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

i=p/u

-
Arms
Reaction score
a customer wants to change her 2 pendants in kitchen for spotlights. the pendants have there own 1 gang switch. and there is other lights comming off these pendants for different rooms. i aint altered any circuits in this way before, but gonna have a bash.

isit ok too put pendant cables into junction boxes and push into ceiling? as will be covering up these holes . and do the spot lights need too have fire hoods? she is willing to go with good energy efficent bulbs.

what juction boxes are best to use in your opinion? and do i need to use heat resistant cable as flex for fitting?

sorry if i sound like a kitchen fitter but i stick too adding a extra lights and like for like fittings as im only on level 3 in september... help

Use fire rated spots anyway. You wouldn't normally need a hood (unless it's a bungalow ... as there'll will be no insulation between the floors). Wago's all the way :) (you knew I'd say that, right :D).

cheers , aye i knew you would say wago's all the way. where the two pendants are would be ok to put in wagos and work from there?? and then these wont be accesible thanks
Use fire rated spots anyway. You wouldn't normally need a hood (unless it's a bungalow ... as there'll will be no insulation between the floors). Wago's all the way :) (you knew I'd say that, right :D).

Last edited:
If you're not using the same holes then you probably can't use wago's for making good the existing wiring (coz it won't be accessible) so you'll probably have to use a small JB.

You prob want to discuss how many spots with the client and the switching arrangement/dimming all on or off may not be ideal.

Heat resistant flex? It would depend how I was wiring them. If I was wiring to a JB then from there to the light fitting yes.

they want just on and off with switch.
im working from below as is tiled above and just would like to use the switch cable that is already there in ceiling for handyness.

so if i put my existing cables into juction boxes and pushed into ceiling and just came off the juction boxes into wagos at each fitting??

Last edited:
they want just on and off with switch.
im working from below as is tiled above and just would like to use the switch cable that is already there in ceiling for handyness.

so if i put my cables into juction boxes and pushed into ceiling and just came off the juction boxes into wagos at each fitting??

That'll do. Have you worked out which way the ceiling joists are running so you know you can route your cables OK?

Crimped connections in enclosure for any of the joints that won't be accessible. Where the spots are small wago enclosure is fine.

I would normally try to utilise the existing holes for some of the spots and add some additional ones as necessary.

Ya beat me to it Ipu. First ceiling rose should be the loop in connection block. Take that out and replace with wago connector unit that can fit through the down light hole. Take your live from there to the switch and returning switch live to the first DL and loop off to the other DL's.

Reply to another job has come my way, my need little encouagment to say yeah il do it.. in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net