Discuss Are bathroom fans with the light in them always in-line? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

HappyHippyDad

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I have a bathroom extractor fan to replace. It is the type that has the light in the middle of it as in the picture below..
Are bathroom fans with the light in them always in-line? fan light - EletriciansForums.net
They all seem to be in-line as in this link Manrose In-Line LED Shower Light Fan Kit Bright Chrome 100mm - https://www.screwflix..com/p/manrose-in-line-led-shower-light-fan-kit-bright-chrome-100mm/45818?_requestid=300335

Above the bathroom is another room so the ducting must be going under the floorboards, I only have access from underneath from the 100mm hole, so I cant fit an in-line fan. If the existing fan is in-line then I guess it's either been fitted when the floorboards were up or else it just been chucked up there.

Can you get these type of fan lights with the fan in the actually light part rather than a separate in-line fan?

I don't know if you can still get them but I'm sure vent axia used to do one.

The problem you have is getting the old inline fan out!

Could you fit a ceiling fan and seperate light?

I don't know if you can still get them but I'm sure vent axia used to do one.

The problem you have is getting the old inline fan out!

Could you fit a ceiling fan and seperate light?
I'm sure I could fit them separately but It works well as it is with the light in the middle of the shower, plus extra work for the customer. Saying that i may have to make holes in the ceiling anyway to get to the in-line fan.

i'll have a hunt around for the vent axia you've mentioned, otherwise i think separate may be the best option.

Is there actually a way of getting an in-line fan in ceiling void where it is mounted properly and accessible?

Where does the fan discharge, is it in a brick wall, the fan may be at the terminal or may be accessible from that end.?
A possibility but I would have thought unlikely. It will be on an outside wall. Thanks for the thought though, something I can look at.

When I was fitting those things, it was only Manrose that did an LED version. Vent Axia had a similar product, but the lamp was halogen; don't know if they do an LED version now.

The driver is for the LED lamp, the fan requires a low voltage supply. So I guess you could site the driver remotely to power the light, bin the inline fan and install another fan remotely somewhere? Perhaps you could spin (see what I did there) Manrose a yarn, and get the LED extract housing/luminaire and driver from them.

i'll have a hunt around for the vent axia you've mentioned, otherwise i think separate may be the best option.

Found it, it's a vent axia luminair

Found it, it's a vent axia luminair

That's really kind of you to take the time to look for it, thanks Dave :)

Personally I think I would have an inspection camera in and around the duct to locate the in line fan and any possible access to it

Putting a new fan in while leaving possibly a clogged up in line fan in situ in the duct will severely impact on the performance of any new fan and might cause premature failure of the new fan. Another question would be how do you intend to isolate the in line fan to prevent it from possibly causing a fire while the light fitting is low voltage the fan is normally mains voltage

Another question would be how do you intend to isolate the in line fan to prevent it from possibly causing a fire while the light fitting is low voltage the fan is normally mains voltage

How would isolation prevent a fire?

What has the voltage of the fan got to do with it?

Personally I think I would have an inspection camera in and around the duct to locate the in line fan and any possible access to it

Putting a new fan in while leaving possibly a clogged up in line fan in situ in the duct will severely impact on the performance of any new fan and might cause premature failure of the new fan. Another question would be how do you intend to isolate the in line fan to prevent it from possibly causing a fire while the light fitting is low voltage the fan is normally mains voltage
I'd be removing the existing inline fan. I'd be isolating the new fan with a TP switch.
I'm not sure what the last bit you wrote means.

Reply to Are bathroom fans with the light in them always in-line? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock