Discuss Back Box In Hollow Wall Installation in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi Guys, I've completed rewires with hollow walls before and was able to use a dry line Box. No chance of being able to use them this time.

I've never seen walls like this though. Just wondering how people have installed back boxes in this circumstance? I've attached a pic

Back Box In Hollow Wall Installation 20220801_165208 - EletriciansForums.net

Back Box In Hollow Wall Installation 20220801_170514 - EletriciansForums.net

I'm assuming Fire resistant Expanding foam or Plaster? Prob need the version which dries the quickest as ill need to start runnung cables asap.

Your helps appreciated

Andy

They look like clay hollow tiles to me, similar to above but with nothing in the middle! There are some houses in Meriden built with those! Complete pain to work with. They don't have much integrity once you have smashed the middle out of them so use cement or something strong to bed your boxes to give the block some of it's strength back! I don't think they are meant to be chased out at all!
The last one like that I rewired we didn't sink the box any deeper than the Plaster and then the whole house was overboarded to make up the difference!
Sy

They look like clay hollow tiles to me, similar to above but with nothing in the middle! There are some houses in Meriden built with those! Complete pain to work with. They don't have much integrity once you have smashed the middle out of them so use cement or something strong to bed your boxes to give the block some of it's strength back! I don't think they are meant to be chased out at all!
The last one like that I rewired we didn't sink the box any deeper than the Plaster and then the whole house was overboarded to make up the difference!
Sy
Yeah that's exactly what it feels like clay tile, I think your spot on.
They look more like the sort of thing I was thinking of!

They are rubbish, they were a very cheap building material though at the time!
Horrible job you may need to pre fill the void somewhat before you fit the box as trying to drill the remaining block will deteriorate it further and won't provide a fixing! Then once the box is in make good around the box and chase.
Sy

dot & dab adhesive. works a treat. or if hole is too big, epanding foam. goo the back box in before foam cures.

but as electricians, we should be proud of our work. if it don't fit using normal methods, sort it properly. there are no problems, only solutions.

What is preventing you using a dry lining box?
You'd have to diamond cut/grind each one precisely and hope you hit a void perfectly every time, nigh impossible.

As mentioned above, I'd cut them out as in the OP and then set the boxes in some bonding or drywall adhesive. If they're set well they shouldn't need any further fixings.

It's not going to be quick though, it's one of those jobs that if you try to rush it it'll take twice as long.

Needed to chase and set the backboxes then given them 24hr to go off before trying to pull cables through. I fear they'll just come lose otherwise and then you'll be spending twice as long trying to secure them.

Absolute nightmare stuff. We had one wall to deal with, tried batten and board but could get a fixing for the batten, ended up using drywall adhesive to gob the backboxes to the wall then dot and dab board up to the back boxes.

If there are more than a couple to deal with then I'd be revisiting the price with the customer.

Easy enough to cut and take out any obstructions with a Multi tool, it will only be a dividing flange, as long as the hole is accurate in width the sliding side fixings will fit and hold well, even used dry lining box's in a ceiling, yes terracotta hollow block ceilings, pull cord for the lights in the shower and the fan isolator switch.

Don't chase for the conduit/cable feed from above and below through the hollow block, just knock through each top and bottom with a long rod and yes I have done this as its common practice in countries that use the hollow block wall construction.

Don't chase for the conduit/cable feed from above and below through the hollow block, just knock through each top and bottom with a long rod and yes I have done this as its common practice in countries that use the hollow block wall construction.
Can you describe this in more detail please Mike? I can't quite visualise how this works (the cells run horizontally), but it sounds like it would be usefull.

I come across this type of blockwork fairly regularly. It seems like it was a popular material round here sometime in the 60s, usually used for the inner leaf of cavity walls, but also internal walls too. It's a pain to work with, particularly when it has only a thin coat of plaster covering it and you have to chase it out.

The cells run horizontally, so

All day everyday doing council kitchens, I use the double+single dual 35mm backboxes because their so wide you can get at least 2 screws into the protruding parts.

I have to fill all the holes and chases with bonding anyway, so the other option is run the cables, fill the cavity with bonding/hardwall and just push the BB in until it extrudes out like toothpaste.

If you're good you can drill vertically through all the voids and pop out the bottom, although watch out for it being one layer thick sometimes, the rear part being what's plastered for the room next-door. It's still preferable to solid red brick chasing

Can you describe this in more detail please Mike? I can't quite visualise how this works (the cells run horizontally), but it sounds like it would be usefull.

I come across this type of blockwork fairly regularly. It seems like it was a popular material round here sometime in the 60s, usually used for the inner leaf of cavity walls, but also internal walls too. It's a pain to work with, particularly when it has only a thin coat of plaster covering it and you have to chase it out.

The cells run horizontally, so
I thought that was enough detail, but I use a piece of reinforcing rod and a club hammer, according to how far up or down you need to go, it may be necessary to drill in an intermediate rodding point, you only have to go through the top and bottom of the block, bit of a pain to do, but not as much work afterwards to make good.

Reply to Back Box In Hollow Wall Installation in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock