Discuss Branching out to the domestic world in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi all,
Just after a bit of advice...
Time-served (Elec/Mech), 18th edition, 2392 Initial Verification, 12 years experience in industrial environment with experience in domestic work along the way.
Looking at starting to build up a bit of a client-base/reputation in the domestic world with the intention of making the leap when the time is right.
Just wondering what advice any of you could offer with regards to this route.
The main thing is whether I should aim to join an approved contractor scheme straight away? The cost of the membership feels a bit of gamble at this point as I don’t know whether I’ll earn enough to justify it. Would you recommend sticking to small (non-notifiable) jobs for now?
Hoping some of you have some experience in this route and could offer some advice.
Thanks in advance!

You might find it hard to build up a decent customer base and reputation without being able to offer notifiable jobs. You might find yourself lumped into handyman territory.
If you think that you won't earn enough to justify the scheme fees to facilitate notifiable work then how about insurance, tools, test equipment, transport etc ? It's a costly do to do it properly.

try stroma they are cheaper than the bigs boys as long as you can show them at least one install i think they cost about ÂŁ280 a year sometimes niceic will offer you a deal to jump ship could be a possible route for you

try stroma they are cheaper than the bigs boys as long as you can show them at least one install i think they cost about ÂŁ280 a year sometimes niceic will offer you a deal to jump ship could be a possible route for you

Can you still join Stroma?? I was looking to join a scheme myself and pondered the NICEIC or cheaper Stroma option for what looks like too long. I believe Stroma Certification have now been taken over by NAPIT.

Thanks for your quick replies!
I see what you mean about the handyman territory. That’s obviously my main worry - not being able to offer certain jobs without having the benefit of scheme membership.
Tools, test equipment and transport I have already and I know insurance is a must.
Stroma is obviously the favourite due to the reduced fee (obviously if it’s still possible to join them).
I was just interested to see how other people started out and whether it’s a must to join a scheme straight away.
Thanks again

To really make a decent fist of a domestic electrician start-up you will to bite the bullet and join a scam...

You cant join stroma right now. I was told to call back in November. At which point i expect their phone number to redirect to napit
Yeah I went on their website with the intention of joining last night. So current options are NICEIC or NAPIT?? I was leaning towards Stroma due to the cheaper cost. If NAPITS fees are approaching NICEICs then should I go with the most well known?
Hope the OP doesn't mind me asking this here, will start a new thread if needed.

Yeah I went on their website with the intention of joining last night. So current options are NICEIC or NAPIT?? I was leaning towards Stroma due to the cheaper cost. If NAPITS fees are approaching NICEICs then should I go with the most well known?
Hope the OP doesn't mind me asking this here, will start a new thread if needed.
Help yourself mate, you’ve saved me asking the question!

I was with Elecsa, part of the Certsure plot. Good technical, good online certification. If your doing domestic stuff in England & Wales, being in a scheme is a necessity.

However, its cutthroat in the domestic market, with prospective clients expecting works carried out at rock-bottom prices. They don't care about scheme membership etc. The only way forward is to have an 'in' with other trades, Kitchen & Bathroom installers, builders etc. Have you got any of those links?

Think carefully, before burning any bridges you currently have.

If NAPITS fees are approaching NICEICs then should I go with the most well known?

If I'm reading the website correctly it looks like NAPIT is still a fair bit cheaper than NICEIC. Am I right in thinking the NAPIT equivalent of the NIC Approved contractor would be the Electrotechnical Assessment Specification??? If so the EAS is ÂŁ455+VAT against the approved NICEIC cost of ÂŁ970+VAT (initial assessment fee plus initial registration)

If I'm reading the website correctly it looks like NAPIT is still a fair bit cheaper than NICEIC. Am I right in thinking the NAPIT equivalent of the NIC Approved contractor would be the Electrotechnical Assessment Specification??? If so the EAS is ÂŁ455+VAT against the approved NICEIC cost of ÂŁ970+VAT (initial assessment fee plus initial registration)
It also depends on the time of year you join with the AC NICEIC fees. the key is join later in the year and it works out a bit cheaper.

Attachments

• niceic fees.pdf
    50.7 KB · Views: 15

Reply to Branching out to the domestic world in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock