Discuss Can i keep hortsman 7 on 24hours to have constant hotwater? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Mcharles

DIY
Reaction score
Can i keep hortsman 7 on 24hours to have constandt hot water and will that spike my bills or will that be ok since its top up and not heating all tank?how do i make it heatup 24hours as it only heat water between 2 am and 8 am . So if i finsh hot water during day, i have to wait till next day for hot water

How

What electricity tariff are you on?
Does your Horstman 7 have a boost timer? (There's more than one version of a Horstman 7.)

He only way to know for sure is real world experimentation.

Take a meter reading, try it as normal for a couple weeks to a month and take another reading… repeat with the hortsman on 24 hrs for the same number of days and see if there’s a difference.

Don’t change anything else that could cause higher or lower readings such as buying a hot tub, or changing routine such as going away for a week…. as that would skew the results

What electricity tariff are you on?
Does your Horstman 7 have a boost timer? (There's more than one version of a Horstman 7.)
Hi there,

Yes i jave a booster and it works for 1 hour only.
As far as i understand the rate of electricity is lowest at the time the hortsman is set but i read that keeping hortsman on 24hours could be better as it will be only heating up whatever water we consumed instead of heating up the whole tank. Eitheway its important for my family to have unlimited hot water so trying to figure out the best way around it

If you need unlimited hot water, 24h
you need to leave the water heater on 24h a day.
it will cost more, the big question is how much more.

if I had to guess I would estimate 30 to 50% more.

If the system has been properly designed, with a well insulated cylinder of an adequate size, and you are on a tariff where there is a considerable difference between the off peak and peak prices for electricity, then it will be much more expensive to heat the water constantly.
If one or more of the above hasn't been met, then the difference in cost will be less.
How many immersion heaters are there on your cylinder? If there are two, it may be that the lower one isn't in use, and you are only heating part of the cylinder at night.
Do any of your hot water pipes run underneath a downstairs floor? I had a case once where there was a leak from the hot water pipe under the kitchen floor , in the pipe to the sink hot tap, and all the hot water was gone within a couple of hours after the heater was switched off.

If you need unlimited hot water, 24h
you need to leave the water heater on 24h a day.
it will cost more, the big question is how much more.

if I had to guess I would estimate 30 to 50% more.
Thanks James! Do you know if i do that, will it keep heating water even if water reached the desired temp? Or will it stop heating as long as water is at desired temp and for example havent been used the whole day?

It will turn on and off to keep the set temperasure.

Reply to Can i keep hortsman 7 on 24hours to have constant hotwater? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net