Discuss crimp and shrink in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

midgetman

Hey midgetman here

Extending twin and earth 2.5mm ring to take in two more sockets. Just looping down to them and then back to the ring.
Using blue and red crimps and some heat shrink. my mate says as they is in enclosed in false ceiling under floor boards this joint even though it is crimped and heat shrunk must be put in a choc box or similar so its in an enclosure. Is he right or is he just having a laugh?

thanks

try the Hager maintanance free junction boxes, it may cost you a little nore than your previous plan but will take half the time and within the regs

ok nice one - I will have to see what depth they are as I only have very limited space.

think if you heat shrink a sleeve over the whole cable, thus making it double insulated, that would comply.

think if you heat shrink a sleeve over the whole cable, thus making it double insulated, that would comply.

I think the issue is ensuring there is adequate strain relief for the joint. I suppose clipping it to a joist would suffice but a choc box is just as quick if not quicker due to not having to get out and set up a heat gun/blow torch. I've only ever used crimps and heat shrink for extending cables buried in walls. Not much chance of them being tugged when they're surrounded by render and the glue filled heat shrink ensures moisture won't get in.

Last edited:

My understanding also as you are basically replicating what was there previously and crimps are a maintenance free joint :thumbsup

Quite right guys that would IMO comply with Reg 526.1

But the reg in my post is

Every termination and Joint in a LIVE conductor or a PEN conductor shall be made within one of the following or combination thereof:

(i) A suitable accessory complying with the appropriate standard

(ii) An equipment enclosure complying with the appropriate product standard

(iii) An enclosure partially formed or completed with building material which is non-combustible when tested to BS 476-4 (This as in Dunc post)

oh oh i guess the min requirements then is just heat shrink. That's cool cos my mate bet me a bluey on this. He reckoned it had to be in an enclosure i said as long as the right size crimps were used and proper heat shrink that would suffice. This is good news actually guys cos i only got 25mm space .

I must add bit like that as long as it is properly clipped as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to crimp and shrink in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net