Discuss Are blue through crimps allowed on ring circuit. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I'd like to say as well. I assume you wouldn't crimp stranded conductors and lay them directly inside steel trunking which has already got loads of other stranded conductors inside, as this would increase the chance of someone accidentally pulling apart a crimped conductor if they were pulling old conductors out for example. You would most definitely have to put the crimped conductors in a separate steel joint box.
....and that's absolute rubbish......crimp and heatshrink, no problem.
Generally you're talking about repairing damaged cables or mistakes installing, though. If you're jointing for a further cable, then always an external box. Available length dependant.

Last edited:
I'd like to say as well. I assume you wouldn't crimp stranded conductors and lay them directly inside steel trunking which has already got loads of other stranded conductors inside, as this would increase the chance of someone accidentally pulling apart a crimped conductor if they were pulling old conductors out for example. You would most definitely have to put the crimped conductors in a separate steel joint box.

If the conductors can be pulled out then the joint is bad.

Joints inside trunking are not ideal due to the damage it would cause if the joint does fail.
If a crimp joint has to be in trunking for any reason then I would insulate it with heat shrink.

Your bog standard red,yellow and blue insulated through crimps are for stranded cable and should not be used on solid as mentioned earlier, crimping solid requires a different crimping tool and crimp to make a sound reliable joint and if you have a ranger of crimping tools you'll tend to find solid cores are crimped with indent crimpers but there are exceptions that doesn't warrant a mention in this context.
Using the wrong crimp and crimper on a specific cable can and often will lead to deformed crimps thus a bad joint however tight it seems to be, one has to remember that other than the usual working load these connections need to tolerate they also need to withstand a possible 1000+ amps of fault current too.

with uninsulated crimp connectors, I'd expectto see heat shring sleeving applied over the crimp. sod fitting boxes. waste of effort . a joint of any description, if done properly with the right parts and the right tools, is a good joint.

with uninsulated crimp connectors, I'd expectto see heat shring sleeving applied over the crimp. sod fitting boxes. waste of effort . a joint of any description, if done properly with the right parts and the right tools, is a good joint.
Fair enough that actually makes sense now with the heatshrink. My bad. I dont have so much experience in the electrical Industry as I'm still a trainee. :)

Nice heat gun though, tel.......that cig lighter's not up to it nowadays.;)

Collecting some comments from above:

Joints correctly and skilfully made using proper materials appropriate for the application, are good joints. It matters not whether they are Wagos, screw terminals, inline crimps, crimped lugs on a stud, soldering or whatever, unless you have to meet a specific standard that is more prescriptive (e.g. for ATEX or MF situations). As Davesparks points out (and I regularly point out to anyone who will listen) a good electrician can make a sound joint with any suitable material. Making connections is one of the most fundamental skills an electrician can have, which used to be taught in great detail but now seems to have fallen by the wayside. But it is a skill, not just a list of do's and dont's like: 'Blue crimps are OK for RFC's.'

There are many bad / unsuitable materials and unskilled persons out there. The dodgy insulated crimps from the car shop, the guy who has good crimps but uses a duff crimp tool, the numpty who crimps them with pliers and his mate who uses stranded-only crimps on solid conductors. The regs don't call these out specifically, because there is the overall requirement for proper workmanship and materials which covers it.

Crimping, using good materials correctly installed, is reliable and secure. If a cable can be pulled out of a normal crimp without damaging / stretching the rest of the cable, it wasn't properly installed. If I crimp a ring to a 2.5mm² tri-rated, put the ring in the vice and pull, the cable rips apart leaving strands still stuck in the terminal. Any good connection will not add measurable resistance, otherwise if it carries more than a whiff of current, it will overheat. A connection that does not overheat is not however automatically to be considered a good one, as it might fail with time or movement in a way that it should not.

Additional insulation (and sometimes even basic insulation) is sometimes required to complete a joint or make it suitable for the installation conditions. Heatshrink of the right type is a versatile material for many kinds of joint. Applying insulation requires skill and knowledge to ensure that it is adequate, e.g. of the same strength and durability as cable insulation. Just putting any random kind of heatshrink over an uninsulated crimp is not in itself adequate.

Personally, I'm not too fussed about properly made inline joints with suitably robust insulation lying within trunking. If there are many joints, or the trunking is very busy, or there is a reason for them to be vulnerable, then a terminal box is needed. Bare blue butt crimps are not quite up to the mark.

Perhaps I should run a course. 'From blue butts to bellhangers in 10 easy lessons.'

Reply to Are blue through crimps allowed on ring circuit. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net