Discuss Price check please, NI sparks in particular. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

But hey. I'm only getting into this as I'm now working on my own and want to do it right. Hence doing the initial verification course and now the periodic. So am open for any advice. Hence why I checked with the tutor today and will have him double check.

As I will be using the reasons given here to do so lol

Phil I'm afraid your tutor is mistaken. If you change the ccu you must issue an EIC...... Remember "those that can, do. And those that can't, teach":D

And Risteards opinion that it only covers the ccu is also mistaken. I've said before on another thread once you have disconnected the final circuits from the supply, you have to ensure they are safe before re-energising them. You can only do that if you know ADS will work, the insulation is up to scratch and there are no mechanical defects likely to give rise to danger. So you're stuck with having to do a full test and all that entails, or you would be working outside the scope of BS7671.
This isn't just my opinion, (and we changed over 500 ccus last year on K&B refurbs) it's the view of our NIC assessor. New fuseboard. Full test.

I didn't suggest that you don't need to verify that ADS will operate. I just pointed out that you are only certifying the replacement DB and not the existing installation. That is a fact.

Any of the part p crowd like Stroma, Napit etc etc is of no use at all.

The only one I'd consider looking at is NICEIC Approved Contractor. I'm not with them, but in Northern Ireland for a one man band it's either them or none.
If no one is specifying it, and you're not losing any work from not being registered I wouldn't bother.

I lose about 2-3 small extensions a year and the odd entertainment licence (basically an EICR for a Pub)

Phil I'm afraid your tutor is mistaken. If you change the ccu you must issue an EIC...... Remember "those that can, do. And those that can't, teach":D

And Risteards opinion that it only covers the ccu is also mistaken. I've said before on another thread once you have disconnected the final circuits from the supply, you have to ensure they are safe before re-energising them. You can only do that if you know ADS will work, the insulation is up to scratch and there are no mechanical defects likely to give rise to danger. So you're stuck with having to do a full test and all that entails, or you would be working outside the scope of BS7671.
This isn't just my opinion, (and we changed over 500 ccus last year on K&B refurbs) it's the view of our NIC assessor. New fuseboard. Full test.

Basically he was saying same as you in regards to what was to be done, full test etc, only he said eicr document. The niceic inspector used to teach there too, so they are friends, so he will likely refer it to him. When I put it to him.

His method is also possibly his interpretation, as when he explained it, it made logical sense.
As does yours, only document difference.

But he's only young as tutors go, when I served my time the tutors were all about 50, this guys about 37, and has been there for 12 years.

Though he does seem to have an interest in stuff in regards to the job on the ground. Asking questions about various things, so willing to learn and was quizing one of the lads who sat his am2 just before the second class. So will want to check it out when mentioned to him.

But it's good that I brought it up as that was answered to the class not just myself.

I didn't suggest that you don't need to verify that ADS will operate. I just pointed out that you are only certifying the replacement DB and not the existing installation. That is a fact.

So if I for example did a kitchen rewire of cooker, a couple of radials, a new ring and upgraded earth to water mains, everything else stayed the same, but full board was changed.

What would be the procedure in that situation?

@Billsays its funny you posted that saying, I said that very thing on Friday as a joke with the others in the class lol

Though in his defence, he seems keen to assist with anything asked of him, the guys who taught me weren't really approachable. But this guy seems like he actually has a passion for the trade. Unlike my ones who where failed or knackered and that was all they could find to pay bills lol or at least that was the impression they gave lol

The paperwork situation is really quite clear cut.
An EICR is a Report on the safety for continued use of an existing installation and involves no installation work.
An EIC (or MEIWC) is a Certificate confirming by your signature that work done on the installation is in compliance with the wiring regulations.

If any installation work is done then an installation certificate (minor or not) must be provided (barring maintenance work that can have a certificate if required).
In the case of a consumer unit change this is definitely installation work and requires an installation certificate. Because you are connecting existing circuits to this board you need to ensure that it is safe to connect these circuits which means they will need to be inspected and tested to the extent necessary to ensure this safety. This could be a full EICR or could be just the completion of the inspections and test results for the EIC you are providing.
In your example in #44 you would obviously inspect and test for the full initial verification the circuits you have rewired and for the consumer unit. Any other circuits would only need inspection and testing to ensure safety of reconnection.
All these results can be included on the EIC.

Reply to Price check please, NI sparks in particular. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net