Discuss Electric vehicles knock on effects in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

That's a point.... how are crematoriums and medical incinerators going to manage without fossil fuels?
Never get hot enough with a windmill.

The biggest knock on effect with charging EV in houses is the increased chance of overloading the main fuse, and possibly the main supply cable.
They already have a panic if there's a looped supply to next door... add in charging overnight when there's half a dozen old storage heaters to supply as well.

the only thing you really need maintenance of with EVs is the brakes... as they are not used much and often seize up. No EGRs, No exhausts, No water pumps, No timing belts, No spark plugs, No oil changes, No oil filters, No fuel filters, No fuel pumps, No gearboxes, No clutches... lots of things you just don't have with an EV. So I can see where the 85% might come from...
They have bodywork, suspension, steering, brakes (as you say) and they do have gearboxes to a degree.

While the "obvious" design would be one motor per wheel to avoid the oily differentials, slip-limiting fudges using ABS for snow/ice, and the related CV joints, etc, the reality is they still do it the same way to keep the unsprung mass down. The ratio of unsprung/sprung mass has a BIG impact on handling and ride comfort, ideally you want low mass wheel assemblies that can go over bumps with little effort and be pushed back in contact with the road with little disturbance to the main body. That was a big reason for alloy wheels originally, not the flash looks, but reducing unsprung mass for racing (not just total mass, but the ratio).

Last edited:
That's a point.... how are crematoriums and medical incinerators going to manage without fossil fuels?
Never get hot enough with a windmill.

The biggest knock on effect with charging EV in houses is the increased chance of overloading the main fuse, and possibly the main supply cable.
They already have a panic if there's a looped supply to next door... add in charging overnight when there's half a dozen old storage heaters to supply as well.
with decent load management there is minimal risk of overloading the main fuse, looped supplies potentially but that is why the dnos remove the loop when an ev charger is fitted.

i read somewhere a crematorium is now generating hot water from all that heat that is used to heat nearby buildings! like a mini power station! they run pipes under the road to block of flats nearby.. quite good idea really. another uses the heat to generate electric via steam and its fed into the grid...

with decent load management there is minimal risk of overloading the main fuse, looped supplies potentially but that is why the dnos remove the loop when an ev charger is fitted.

i read somewhere a crematorium is now generating hot water from all that heat that is used to heat nearby buildings! like a mini power station! they run pipes under the road to block of flats nearby.. quite good idea really. another uses the heat to generate electric via steam and its fed into the grid...
but you can't burn bodies with hot water. they just go pink.

Grind the bodies up in blender and feed them to the Pigs,,
Oh Hang,, on animals are going to be banned so it will have to be feed the blend to the Lettuces and Radishes.

P.S There's no date set yet to ban the use of gas for Commercial or Industrial procecsses.

Reply to Electric vehicles knock on effects in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net