Discuss Help with test and inspection. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

As I understand it its only the last socket in 2.5 & all I was saying was it was similar to spurring a single socket outlet from a point on a ring in a single length of 2 five, same effective protection...its there..in 'standard circuits'...

40A MCB is not acceptable, end of. You have not "left it as it is", you have "connected it to a new".
So, are you not going through with the assessment now?

simple solution is to replace the socket outlet for a twin back box, and then put a fused spur on one half of the twin back box, feeding a single socket on the other half, assuming the client can deal with having only as single socket outlet there. If not, fit a snugly chopped out second single socket next to it to replace the lost outlet. I little bit of filler and job done.

Been giving this a bit of thought, i take it the kitchen is on the ground floor? Is it not worth going into a carpeted room, and making yourself a hatch to possibly crawl under/ have a good look around?
Whole ground floor is laminated right through to toilet.

To get everyone straight, I am up for what ever It would of took. The client is not wanting me to rip up floor, out of the question. He does not like the idea of putting a 20 amp., called the term " you like creating problems don't you" he said in a joking undertone.

In his eyes his it is working. He has basic knowledge of electrics. It is highly unlikely that the cable will ever be over worked. If it did then there's the rcd. He says :/

i am thinking that maybe I could stick a fuse connection unit where the cable first appears. I can not see there being more than 3 m underneath the floor board. I am certain there will be a JB somewhere.

As for loosing heart, my head is all over the place. I really done some deep thinking today, I prob just keep to inside the circle jobs. Motivation is on a low, prob because last 5 jobs i done for free :/. Turn my website into somewhere to put all these thoughts I constantly getting :/

Thanks for all the comments.

Whole ground floor is laminated right through to toilet.

To get everyone straight, I am up for what ever It would of took. The client is not wanting me to rip up floor, out of the question. He does not like the idea of putting a 20 amp., called the term " you like creating problems don't you" he said in a joking undertone.

In his eyes his it is working. He has basic knowledge of electrics. It is highly unlikely that the cable will ever be over worked. If it did then there's the rcd. He says :/

i am thinking that maybe I could stick a fuse connection unit where the cable first appears. I can not see there being more than 3 m underneath the floor board. I am certain there will be a JB somewhere.

As for loosing heart, my head is all over the place. I really done some deep thinking today, I prob just keep to inside the circle jobs. Motivation is on a low, prob because last 5 jobs i done for free :/. Turn my website into somewhere to put all these thoughts I constantly getting :/

Thanks for all the comments.

The problem is Jimmy, you have carried out this work and left it in a possibly dangerous condition. It's not enough to just say "oh well, he doesn't want it doing." It has to be agreed with the client (even if you are doing it for free) that any issues must be sorted before re-energising a circuit. At the very least, you need to put this circuit on a 32A MCB.

What if its over 3m from where its jointed to the 6mm?

No not retarded, just putting a case across without getting wound up or abusive for no reason?

MY understanding of this scenario, is a socket outlet spurred from a cooker circuit protected by a 40 amp MCB.

Solution, is change the double socket back box to a twin back box, on one half of which is a FUSED (13A) spur. This then feeds a single socket outlet next to it.

If you can't understand this, go clean toilets. I thought this was a forum for ELECTRICIANS!.

Indeed. Get used to NOTHING being textbook (unless you become one of these guys who call themselves electricians and just pull cables in on newbuilds everyday).

;)
As you have fitted a new CU you must use the appropriate protective device for the circuit otherwise your work will not comply. As above I think I would disconnect the cooker on those grounds if you feel the load is too great for the circuit..what happens after you leave is the clients business...however I think you'll find if you explain what you are doing and why they will have you back to rectify pretty sharpish..!
I have, explained.

Thanks for the revelations. Wanted to get this NICEIC quicker, I am a new business. Didn't want to use the " £250" grant I have for handing out leaflets courtesy of Princes trust.

Have two estate agent that like my idea, said they would send my leaflets to all their landlords. Wanted to send the leaflets with a NICEIC badge. Was offering something along the lines of £5 a month all inclusive callout. £40 excess. That was the idea. Also got a £1080 grant of the government and another grant of £540 there abouts. So nah I don't think I am a mug.

What you give you get back. The people I have done work for are all hard workers and good people. So :p .

Last edited by a moderator:
;)

I have, explained.

Thanks for the revelations. Wanted to get this NICEIC quicker, I am a new business. Didn't want to use the " £250" grant I have for handing out leaflets courtesy of Princes trust.

Have two estate agent that like my idea, said they would send my leaflets to all their landlords. Wanted to send the leaflets with a NICEIC badge. Was offering something along the lines of £5 a month all inclusive callout. £40 excess. That was the idea. Also got a £1080 grant of the government and another grant of £540 there abouts. So nah I don't think I am a mug.

What you give you get back. The people I have done work for are all hard workers and good people. So :p .

You must have mis-typed this.....£5 a month all in for a call out? Can you please expand and clarify your business plan and background so we can be of more help.

You must have mis-typed this.....£5 a month all in for a call out? Can you please expand and clarify your business plan and background so we can be of more help.
£40 excess. The idea would be in the beginning it would be hard. But most of the time the landlord would be £5 a month, like an insurence. The landlord then knows any call out is not going to be no more £40. This is fault scenario.

£40 excess. The idea would be in the beginning it would be hard. But most of the time the landlord would be £5 a month, like an insurence. The landlord then knows any call out is not going to be no more £40. This is fault scenario.

Impossible to quote £40 max for fault finding. Sorry, but no wonder you are bankrupt with business plans like this. A bit like 'I WILL MOT your piece of she-ite car for £40, no matter what is wrong with it, I will put it right'.

Reply to Help with test and inspection. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net