Discuss how to build a hard wired network?? in the Computer and Networking Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

sorry if this may sound patronising

basic system will consist of one designated area of where you will site the patch panel/hubs

take a cable from this area to every individual point with a cat5

connect the points up according to colours, now usually theres 2 options A or B, if i remember rightly (been a while since ive done it) i always connected to the B type colouring

connect them up at the patch panel not forgetting to number each individual point corrosponding with the patch panel, you then need some sort of a router/hub and you connect a series of RJ45 ended cables from the patch to the hub/router

to be honest this is as much as i know and it always seems to be a techguy who comes in and patchs it all, we mainly get the wiring in/2nd fixed/tested and he takes over setting it up

hope this may have helped

each point is wired as a single radial from the patch panel. each run must be less than 100m, if it is longer then i believe that you need to boost the signal.
you need a punch down tool, sometimes called a krone tool. Wghen you buy the cat 5 sockests (called RJ45 keystone jacks), they have 2 colour codes on the back, A and B. British use B (thats how i remember it). Ive never done the server bit, but what ive seen, you crimp RJ45 plugs onto the end of the cat 5's anf plug them into the patch panel outgoing. You thn have a small peiceof cat5 called a patch lead, with a plug on either side. This plugs from the outgoing patch panel, to the incomer. The ioncomer side was done by BT. you can also run your phone through the cable, i beleive its called VoIP, but i dont know much about it, ive only everrun the cables for that, (cat 5 again)

Regarding the patch panel, we always Krone them into the rear of the patch panel with corrosponding colours

you then make up sets of leads with RJ45 ends which patchs from the front of the panel over to the hub

for info. RJ45 plug. turn it so the brass is facing upwards and away from you. You thensort the cat 5 cores out into this order from left tp right. orange/white, orange, green/white, blue, blue/white, green, brown/white, brown. makes sure the cores are flat, and then cut them down to size. Insert into RJ45, and then crimp. Job done

i remember the first time i terminated a RJ45 end onto some cat5, i recall looking and thinking " this is going to be fiddly/difficult/annoying ", it was strangley quite easy

Buy a simpler tester from maplin £10.00 to test any joints you make and retest cables prior to leaving job. Someone mentioned a Krone tool / punch down tool cheap ones are just that if you plan to do this sort of work regularly buy a proper Krone tool as it last a lot longer.

each point is wired as a single radial from the patch panel. each run must be less than 100m

On the CCNA course they recommend that you a maximum 90 meter run, then remaining 10 meters is lost with terminating the RJ45 sockets

they have 2 colour codes on the back, A and B. British use B
The way networks use to work is A to A when going from Router to Computer A to B from Router to Router or computer to computer.
This is a mute point because modern network card auto sense if the connection is straight (A-A), Crossover (A-B) or reverse (which is what it's says and is used when you want to talk to a router

cheers chaps...! basically my reason behind Cat 5 is to allow the following!

TV/Blu Ray/PS3 to be connected hard wired to the network (internet) along with 2 PC's in my new home office and also a few printers..!

im a big fan of WIFI but some times reliability is critical during certain aplications lol...

One other thing thats not been mentioned for smaller networks .You can do without a patch panel and just use the same jack at both ends .then use a small cat5 lead to go from the jack to the port on the router or switch whichever the case may be.
Many many small shops and offices are done this way .

I have done this several times and have a good knoledge of the It side as well seeing as thats my real line of work :(

An interesting point is that Cat5 cabling can also be used ,with the right adapters to pass .audio and video signals as well as data .

72-van

One other thing thats not been mentioned for smaller networks .You can do without a patch panel and just use the same jack at both ends .then use a small cat5 lead to go from the jack to the port on the router or switch whichever the case may be.
Many many small shops and offices are done this way .
72-van

Hi 72-van,
yes you can do this, however normal Cat5e cable has solid cores, and the cable used in patch cables is stranded. If you crimp an RJ45 cable plug on the end of the cable and plug it into a Switch/router the cable could work harden and the core break.

Admittedly my other half has her network in her shop put in the way you suggest.
The cost of patch leads, Cat5e sockets and patch panels I think it's a no brainer.

You are 100 % correct forgive my poorly worded post.
I was trying to say use a patch lead from the jack to the appliance be it switch or router .
My point being that you could do without a patch panel which can be ackward to terminate if your not doing them ..whereas if you replicate the cable /jack at both ends it will be slightly easier perhaps .
Another potential plus point for this type of install might be that many sparks will have single and double surface mount patresses to hand / in stock and therefore only need the jacks /plates .

i am not in favour of terminating straight on the end of cat 5 ..seen several probs caused by this

I worked on a 210 camera CCTV system in Norwich, about 6 years ago
we used normal Cat5e and 25 pair Cat5Pe to transmit the imagine from risers around the shopping centre to the equipment room

the amount of broken cores we got was crazy

the AC didn't work in the equipment room and the room got very hot,
as a result the NVT equipment failed and had to swap out the rack mounted equipment active unit transceivers.
unplugging and reconnecting the Cat5e cables became a pain.
If the AC worked ok, then the NVT equipment wouldn't have failed and we would never known about the issue

sometimes it isn't worth cutting corners

Richard

Reply to how to build a hard wired network?? in the Computer and Networking Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net