Discuss I need help using European appliance in another country in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

L

leafy

Hi, everyone!

I recently bought a blender online from a local seller. Only when I received it I realized that the plug is different, it's two pronged round. Our socket is two pronged flat, so I need an adapter. I was reading the manual and it says:

• The use of attachments not recommended or sold by the manufacturer may cause fire, electric shock,
or injury.
• DO NOT USE THIS PRODUCT WITH ANY TYPE OF ADAPTOR OR VOLTAGE CONVERTER DEVICE. THIS
UNIT IS MANUFACTURED IN COMPLIANCE WITH US AND CANADIAN ELECTRICAL STANDARDS AND
PLUG TYPES. (I got this from the online manual, they sell the same blender in UK, but I can't find a copy of it.)
• USE OF ADAPTERS AND CONVERTERS IS CONSIDERED AN UNAUTHORIZED MODIFICATION OF
THE PRODUCT AND AS SUCH VOIDS THE WARRANTY. USE OF THIS PRODUCT IN LOCATIONS WITH
DIFFERENT ELECTRICAL SPECIFICATIONS MAY RESULT IN DAMAGE TO THE PRODUCT.

More info about the blender: ac220-240v 50/60hz 600w max
Using this in The Philippines, our sockets are 220v 60hz plug type a,b

the adapter I got, which I'm starting to feel like is the wrong one, looks like this: OMNI WRA-001-PK REGULAR A : Belmontdepot.com, One Stop Shop for your Home Improvement, Industrial, Construction and Tools

Is there still hope for my blender? Did they just put those warnings for warranty purposes, or will something bad happen if I did use an adapter?

Thanks in advance, I really did just join the forum to ask this question, just want to be safe. :)

Don't use any adapter just remove the European round pin plug top and replace with an American flat pin plug top. Any adaptor will in all likelihood be pulled out of the socket with the combined weight of the existing plug top and the adaptor. The American outlets are well known for not having the best contact strength, i've seen standard plug tops pulling themselves out of Yank socket outlets, and they were supposed to be hospital grade receptacles!!!

But.. I don't know how :D Is it safe to do it my self with the help of the internet or should I get an electrician?

I would also say cut the plug off and fit a new one that's correct for your electrical outlets as long as you're sure the appliance is the correct frequency and voltage.

They probably say that you shouldn't use an adapter because there's a chance the blender will then be plugged into a supply that's not the right voltage or frequency.

Reply to I need help using European appliance in another country in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net