Wetroom Store - Network Wetroom Suppliers
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Discuss ideas please in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

sparky-s-w

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

hi guys/n girls

had a call today from a local farmer, "ive fitted a new flood light and connected it to the an origional feed", "but it dont work".
(apparently he did some electrics in the navy)
ME:-ok its either a faulty light, or the feed, ie damaged cable fuse triped etc.
FARMER:-"i checked the feed, at the connector block (junction boxs on post) got 215v" "but when i connect the light fiting then test i get 20 something volts"
ME:- Please leave it be, ill pop round thurs/friday.

now i've not seen/been so just trying to pre-empt the job.
any ideas, assuming what hes saying is true:rolleyes2:.
 
CK Tools :) The professionals choice when it comes to Electrical Tools
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members
S

sparky-s-w

  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #3
yep he said defo 215v, i asked what he was using to test voltage, he said multi meter.
 
S

sparky-s-w

  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #4
the light is all thats on the circuit aprrently
 
O

Octopus

  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #5
If he's a farmer, with an out building on a very long cable, could volt drop be the issue?
 
S

sparky-s-w

  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #6
thats what im thinking, think i might have to run a new supply in.
 
K

KFH

  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #7
I would have thought a poor neutral or even a poor line connection giving a low voltage under load, did the old light work? Re the 215 even if it were a long cable there should be a decent voltage until there is a load, try testing to CPC assuming there is one.
 
S

sparky-s-w

  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #8
yea thats why im thinking a new run, damaged cable might explane why the sudden loss of voltage under load.
prob no earth, he said the cable is SWA ran underground to a post
 
Aico 3000 Range
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Reply to ideas please in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Top Bottom