Discuss Infra-red switch in Bathroom? in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi all,

I’m hoping someone may be able to clear up something. We do have an electrician but he is unsure of whether this can be done or not so is currently re-reading through the 18th edition.

So the scenario is this, we are currently re-doing our bathroom. It will have IP65 led down lights, 2 above shower area and 5 in main bathroom area, for this we would like to use an IP44 IR on/off switch, you do not need to touch it, just wave your hand in front around an inch away. Can this be used in place of a pull cord? The switch will be located in Zone 2. It is not in a splash-able area as there will be a fixed glass shower screen right next to it, with a sliding shower door the other side.

Whats puzzling us is we have also got an IP44 led mirror which does have an IR sensor on it and this is going to be above the sink, this will be in a splash-able area if people were to wash their faces In the sink. So theoretically if those mirrors are allowed above a sink with an IR sponsor, then surely the main light switch being an IR sensor would be fine also?

We have been waiting for nearly 3 weeks for a response from our electrician :nomouth:

Thanks in advance :blush:

you could have a senor in there in zone 2 and not have the pull cord ,but you need to put the sensor on longer the a minute or at night having a shower and the sensor turns off after a min .

It sounds like you have a specific switch in mind for this job, what does the manufacturer say about installing it in zone 2 ?

Only switches of SELV type are allowed in zone 2, but it would also need to be IPX4 minimum which you say it is.

There are no zones with specific requirements apart from suitability for the environment round a hand basin, just bath and shower areas.

How about using something like a Quintec wireless switch?

Hi,

We have one of these on the upstairs toilet which is great as people were forever forgetting to turn the light off on the outside of the door. Downside is you cant switch it off. We are looking to install some deck lighting to the underneath of a shelf to give the bathroom mood lighting if one wishes instead of traditionally using candles. So a switch is needed to turn the main lighting off.

Cannot install a switch on the outside as it leads off a hallway which will eventually become part if an open plan living space. It's a few years off that but kinda thinking ahead ☺️

How about using something like a Quintec wireless switch?

I did look at these but this has to work on a 2 way switch doesn't it?
[automerge]1572891021[/automerge]
It sounds like you have a specific switch in mind for this job, what does the manufacturer say about installing it in zone 2 ?

Only switches of SELV type are allowed in zone 2, but it would also need to be IPX4 minimum which you say it is.

There are no zones with specific requirements apart from suitability for the environment round a hand basin, just bath and shower areas.

Yes, been looking into selv circuits. The manufacturer doesn't specify zones unfortunately just that its ip44 rated. It has 240v in and out of the box with a 12v cable to the IR. It's an isolated switch controller if that means anything to anyone.

Yes, been looking into selv circuits. The manufacturer doesn't specify zones unfortunately just that its ip44 rated. It has 240v in and out of the box with a 12v cable to the IR. It's an isolated switch controller if that means anything to anyone.

The safety source of SELV has to be installed outside the zones. This is usually most easily acheived by installing it outside of the location, most often in the accessible loft space above.

The safety source of SELV has to be installed outside the zones. This is usually most easily acheived by installing it outside of the location, most often in the accessible loft space above.

Yep we have a lot space it's going into ? we are a dormer bungalow so have a space for it to go. I'll speak to our electrician again see if he is a little more assured by our plan! Thanks for replying, much appreciated.
[automerge]1572892094[/automerge]
Thanks for all replies so far, I'll speak to the electrician again and point him in this forums direction if he still needs reassurance.

Hopefully he's happy! ?

I did look at these but this has to work on a 2 way switch doesn't it?

What do you class as a 2 way switch?
From your description you just want to switch on the lights using 1 switch. Is this correct?
If this is the case then you can use a Quintec wireless switch. You can use as many switches as you like but it will work with just 1 switch, if you want.

What do you class as a 2 way switch?
From your description you just want to switch on the lights using 1 switch. Is this correct?
If this is the case then you can use a Quintec wireless switch. You can use as many switches as you like but it will work with just 1 switch, if you want.

Ah, must have been another one I was looking at, but only worked as part of a 2 way system. I shall have a look at this thank you

Reply to Infra-red switch in Bathroom? in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock