Discuss Infra Red Switching and SWA in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Afternoon Guys,
I have just been to look at a 'garden' installation that has been wired by the 'gardener' !

The original instalation is a lareg semi-detached town house, with 100m garden behind it. There is a garage in the garden that is now unused to store cars, as you would not get a modern car down the drive as both householders have put fences down the centre.The garage is about 10m from the house.

At some time (many moons ago looking at the state of the cable), somebody has taken a supply to the garage from the kitchen. This appears to have been done by spuring straight out of the back of a socket, down the external wall, under the; patio, lawn and flowerbeds and then up the outside of the garage and then through thegarage wall. This has been done in 2.5mm pvc twin and earth !

This is being used to supply a metal clad consumer unit, containing a 100amp switch and two mcbs (one 6amp and one 32amp).

The 'gardener' has now gotten involved.

The garage has been split in 2, font and back. The half nearest the house is used as general storage and the other half is nicly fitted out and furnished, with patio doors opening to look down the remainder of the garden.

First the sockets in the garage; 1 double in the storage area and 3 in the 'lounge' area. All wired on a radial 2.5mm 3core swa.
Second the sockets in the garden, 3 doubles at equal distance down the fence between garden and neighbours garden. In some place clipped to the fence, in other areas just laid among the flowers.
Again wired with 2.5mm 3 core swa, on a radial.
These are all fed from the 32amp mcb, none of the armouring sheathing is earthed and the spare concuctor is cut-off in the consumer unit.

Then we have the lights
First the garage has 3 fluorescent fittings wired in 1.5mm 3 core swa.
Secondly we have two circuits of lights out in the flowerbeds. Each is fed by a 1.5mm 3 core swa, going from the consumer unit to IP44 boxes. These boxes contain timers and feed out to further IP44 enclosures via flexible conduit and 1.0mm pvc flex.
These supply low voltage transformwer, which are supplying individual spike floodlights around the garden.
Again, none of the armouring sheathing is earthed, the spare conductor are cut of and the green/yellow conductor in the flexes are all just laid, un-connected in the IP44 enclosures.

Comments so far are very welcome, but as I have to dash out to a call out, I will be adding to this later this evening.

Regards
Jon

sounds like a Full rewire/reconfiguration of garden ,garage supplies sometimes its better to rip out chit rather than to try n sort out what rubbish is there

Reply to Infra Red Switching and SWA in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net