Discuss Landlord been a --- in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

Pete_chi

Just after some advice on landlords, my partners landlord is been a --- the electrics in her flat are horrendous, isolation switch for the extractor fan is above the shower, a bayonet light fitting in the bathroom that is about 300mm away from the shower and can be touched by your head whilst brushing your teeth fuse board has massive holes in as I don't deal with domestics on a daily basis I'm not sure we're she stands she asked for an up to date condition report and his told her he doesn't have to show her one, so Is there anything she can do

cheers in advance

Cheers
she rents direct from the landlord, it's a house converted in to 4 flats I would of thought the regs would be a bit more strict but I am unsure of what's allowed and not

Well basically he doesn't give a ---- by the sound of it. I would remind him of his duty of care to the tenant. A strongly worded letter highlighting your concerns would be good to see their response. If no joy follow it up by getting the local authority involved. The local authority can impose strict deadlines to get issues sorted, although these are often more likely to be matters which concern your health. You could argue I reckon that getting an electric shock is definately a health issue!

I know this is a big ask what are his responsibility as a landlord and what regs do the flat have to be, and what about smoke detectors there's no fire escape just a front door and back soon do the smoke heads need to be conected to each other in all the flats or are cheap removable battery ones exceptable

The problem facing the tenant is that if they make a fuss, they could get evicted........

Its a dam stupid situation, there aren't any mandatory tests for electrics for renting properties in England and the Councils don't seem to have any teeth!

At a time when renting is becoming more and more likely for the youngsters, the need for better legislation is needed IMHO.

As for "duty of care" - what exactly does this mean?

I recently had to carry out some works in a flat due to the tenant complaining to environmental health. The work was fitting an extractor in a kitchen with no window. Other works were on the list. Here is the closing paragraphs of the letter: 1460063610672370156609.jpg

I am guessing from that, that they must have some teeth to bite the landlord with. Maybe I'm too optimistic!!

Murdoch, I think duty of care basically means if something bad did happen to a tenant then the landlord's day in court would not be a happy one! If they had been related to the issues that is. Other than that it sounds good in letters to get the landlord thinking a bit!

PS the letter mentions the Housing Act 2004 on the first page. Not au fait with that myself though.

Last edited:

Reply to Landlord been a --- in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net